G5 loads ubuntu to hard drive can't access

Frank Ciampa Champ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2020
Maine
Did a perfect install of ubuntu 16.04 to hard drive but can't access. No errors at all went straight thru install to final message that said to reboot to take effect. Reboot and it doesn't go to ubuntu. It was a dual boot with an old copy of Yellow Dog. Also tried to install ubuntu only and same problem. Is there a command line I can enter in open firmware to access ubuntu. When I reboot it goes to Yellow Dog.

Last edited:

wicknix

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
The bootloader probably got installed to the partition or second drive you installed ubuntu too rather than the main boot block. You should be able to boot ubuntu by holding the 'option' key down when you power on. It should then display your yellowdog install and ubuntu install. It will take a few seconds for the 'watch/searching' pointer to stop. When it does, click on the second drive (i assume yellow dog is first as that's what boots by default), then click the arrow to boot it. Note: both drives will show the linux penguin, but will have no label. If the second drive icon boots yellow dog, choose the first.

Cheers

Reactions: z970mp

Frank Ciampa Champ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2020
Maine
The bootloader probably got installed to the partition or second drive you installed ubuntu too rather than the main boot block. You should be able to boot ubuntu by holding the 'option' key down when you power on. It should then display your yellowdog install and ubuntu install. It will take a few seconds for the 'watch/searching' pointer to stop. When it does, click on the second drive (i assume yellow dog is first as that's what boots by default), then click the arrow to boot it. Note: both drives will show the linux penguin, but will have no label. If the second drive icon boots yellow dog, choose the first.

Cheers
Thanx, I'll give that a try

AphoticD

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2017
Australia
When I installed Ubuntu MATE 16.04 on one of my PowerMac7,2 G5s, I found I had to physically swap the HDD to the other bay in order for the G5 to boot.

I think I had it in the lower bay during installation and I had to move it to the top to get it to boot, but it could have been the other way around. Might be worth a shot?

Frank Ciampa Champ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2020
Maine
When I installed Ubuntu MATE 16.04 on one of my PowerMac7,2 G5s, I found I had to physically swap the HDD to the other bay in order for the G5 to boot.

I think I had it in the lower bay during installation and I had to move it to the top to get it to boot, but it could have been the other way around. Might be worth a shot?
Thanx I'll try that too

z970mp

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2017
zgxSystems

That was because of faulty installation software that got everything mixed up.

I have found the solution to be in manually partitioning the system, for which a guide is available on The PPC Linux Wiki.

Reactions: AphoticD