G5 Logic Board Error...help...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JesterJJZ, Oct 20, 2007.

1. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

OK...so last summer my G5 decided to commit suicide. For a long time it would simply shut off when doing very processor intensive tasks like importing and transcoding HD video. Yeah I do a lot of video work, rendering and my machine is on just about 24/7. It did something to the boot drive and wouldn't let me start up again, the machine wouldn't even see the drive connected and I couldn't even reinstall my OS. Don't worry I keep everything pretty much double backed up. So anyway...

Took it to my Apple Store and the hooked up some cables to my machine and manage to reformat my drive, problem solved...or not. Took it home and machine still shut off every now and then. So back I went to the Apple store...

Now they tell me that I need to replace my logic board and both processors. Cost: $900.00 - Hooray Apple care!!!

Now I have been having issues with my Final Cut Studio and radom weird things happening. Just got another kernel panic so I ran hardware diagnostics check. Bam! Logic board error...

Looks like I'll be going back to the Apple Store...

Here's what I saw...how bad is it doc? :(

[​IMG]

I managed to boot up again fine, but I'm afraid to do any serious work...

2. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Well is looks like it's been if for repair three times. Kindly ask for a replacement.

3. JesterJJZ thread starter macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

How hard do I need to press for one? I'd love a new Intel System. At this point I'd probably be better off with the lowest end model.

4. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Not that hard. As in I got 3 replacement in one year. You just need to have all your paperwork and repair numbers on hand and explain to them that your repairs are not working.. Just be firm.

5. JesterJJZ thread starter macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

Wish me luck...

6. JesterJJZ thread starter macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

Ok...so my baby is at the hospital right now awaiting a transplant. They ordered pretty much everything for it. New processors, logic board, ram, power supply...I'd prefer a new machine but I guess I can't complain. Technically my Applecare expired two months ago, though with all the problems I've had they agreed to do the work on it. I suppose I should feel lucky.

Anyone know if replacement parts are actually "new" or just refurbished?

7. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

Some are probably new (as in backstock), others may be refurbed.

The G3 ibook motherboard replacements were often refurbed, so you'd end up with a tech fixing the resulting problems but not the cause, hence me sending mine back three times. On the third time I got a call from a tech apologizing and telling me he needed to hold it for an extra couple of days as they ordered a brand new motherboard for it.

8. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

They will most likely use refurb or new parts. It's what ever they have in stock. Did you try to ask for a replacement before they said that they are going to replace everything? Just make sure you keep your paperwork and repair ID just incase something happens under the 90 day warrantee