G5 logic broad + iMac G3?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by MacintoshMaster, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

You can put in one of these, but I don't think you know what you're doing.
    Would be better and cheaper for you to get one of those.

2. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

first things first the G5 board fits not into the iMac G3 due to size of the G5 board ,not to mention the cooler of the G5 in second link thats like trying to fit a fridge freezer like that [​IMG]
    in a original austin mini like that
    [​IMG]

hope i made the problem understandable ;)

getting a Mac mini G4 inside is possible , connecting it to work with the crt needs some engineering genius and good soldering skills

so if you need more power in style get a eMac 1.42 and leave the iMac complete as it is, the iMac g3 from 2002 is fast enough for every day computing needs

3. MacintoshMaster thread starter macrumors 6502

MacintoshMaster

Thanks dudes,
    Ok then - I already have an eMac and I can't afford a mac mini but I can afford the G4 logic board. Can I just swap the G3 logic board for a G4?
    Thanks,
    John

4. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Again, the only G4 logic board that fits into an iMac is one from a Mac Mini G4.

[​IMG]
    How is that supposed to fit into an iMac?

5. MacintoshMaster thread starter macrumors 6502

MacintoshMaster

Ah! Thanks man!
    I used to have that computer! If I find a mac mini logic board g4 will it fit perfectly?

6. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

it will fit inside its small enough to fit somehow inside , ok the ports(usb , firewire,ethernet,audio) might not be at the right position or have to be extended to be usable , but the main task is to get a picture on the screen if you want to keep the crt ,
    when going lcd conversion finding a lcd that fits proper might be tricky as most are either to small or to big ,you want to see the whole screen and not guess what is eventually on the screen in the edges you cant see or the opposite want huge gaps around the lcd screen

7. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Those G4 things you listed are just the processor boards.

To have a working G4/G5 you'd need (at a bare minimum), the logic board (the big sucker), a processor board, a graphics card, a power supply and a CPU heatsink. In a nutshell, buying all that stuff separately will get expensive for what it is and you'll have to do some fancy cable fiddling to get power buttons etc to work.

I've seen the insides of eMacs and iMacs and modifying them for use with another system is possible but it'd be a big endeavour. If you're serious about it then the most cost effective solution would be to buy a second hand 17" LCD screen and either a mac mini or an ITX based PC. Strip out the insides of the eMac and put it all in. This can still be done on a budget but my guess is for a Core 2 Duo based ITX board (second hand), CPU, bit of RAM, graphics etc + a cheap second hand LCD you could probably do the conversion for about £150.

8. samk8000 macrumors regular

samk8000

9. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

It will loosely fit in physically but it won't plug straight in to everything else in there. Logic boards are not designed to be physically compatible between computers. Even some MacBook logic boards won't physically fit into a different model of MacBook.

If you find a Mac Mini logic board on its own then you'll still also need a processor, RAM, a power supply and an understanding of the pin headers on the logic board.

10. max¥¥ macrumors 6502a

don't forget that little riser board with the hdd