G5 loves more ram

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by G5 Mac Daddy, Feb 27, 2012.

1. G5 Mac Daddy macrumors member

I bought my G5 a few months ago and I was running 512mb of ram. I got a really good deal on 4 gb of ram and POW! My G5 turned into a beast. I've got the dualie 1.8 with the 4 ram slots..... I know I know.... I shoulda bought one with 8 slots. Oh well I paid 75 bucks for mine. I just wanted to point out how much OS X loves more ram. It also seems to me that ram makes such an impact in terms of performance in Power PC machines. Oh and hi everyone.

Rant disengaged.

2. charlieroberts macrumors 6502a

charlieroberts

75 for a G5???????'

whereeee:eek:

3. Subish macrumors member

More important... 75 and was working!

4. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Even under Leopard diminishing returns kicked in pretty hard past 4GB. You'd still be running 32 bit applications, so while applications and the OS at that time had a lot of workarounds to make good use of more ram, the benefits dried up pretty fast past a certain point as the application couldn't address past 3-4GB directly. 6-8 was useful under Leopard if you ran more than one ram hungry application. OSX had so many bugs around that time. Activity monitor ran a root process in the background that took a (relatively) large amount of cpu power just to drive activity monitor. Spotlight caused crashes with some applications. It was really annoying (this was around Tiger). Snow Leopard is my favorite.

5. G5 Mac Daddy thread starter macrumors member

Really? Cause this goes totally against my experience. Not saying you are wrong but this machine runs tiger so I can use my legacy apps. I love Tiger. I do use Leopard on my G4 book. I got this machine off ebay for 75 bucks. It runs good and I added 1TB off storage space, ram and I'm going to add a 7800gs card for my old school gaming pleasure. I really like my G5 machine. Towers can be had uber cheap now if you sit on a few auctions.

6. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

What goes against your experience? I was just saying that you shouldn't be worried over only having four ram slots there when you won't see much benefit beyond that without running multiple applications. A couple applications sort of used additional ram as a second pagefile, but it wasn't that great in terms of additional performance. Did you mean the OSX bugs comment? The spotlight thing did happen. I experienced it across multiple machines in a few different applications. I either worked around it by modifying privacy settings on spotlight or using command line functions to turn it off entirely (can't remember which I went with in the end). On the activity monitor thing, I found it annoying as it went up to around 15% cpu usage just to run an underlying always on process which was used to run activity monitor.

Anyway I wasn't saying anything bad about your new computer. It sounds like you got quite a deal. The whole reason I wrote the response was just to mention that on the G5 and Tiger or Leopard, 4GB of ram isn't much of a limit because the gains past that were really meager anyway (and some tests showed performance degradation in Tiger past 4GB).

7. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

The only application I have on the G5 that will push the computer over 4 is PS and them only with lots and lots of layers..but most of the time it chugs along happily under 4gb..

@OP
    couldn't imagine using this computer with 512MB it would be SLOW!

8. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Totally agree.. even then it can't access that much directly so it's mainly helpful if you're running big files there + other stuff simultaneously. Intel machines running CS5 under SL or Lion can take advantage of way more. Otherwise it has a way of using ram as swap space, but it doesn't help very much.

9. G5 Mac Daddy thread starter macrumors member

I understand what you are saying. I only mentioned the four ram slots because most sites and folks generally want the 8 slot machine. For what I use my machine for, the 4gb of ram makes it fly.

10. G5 Mac Daddy thread starter macrumors member

I'm also looking to upgrade the graphics card. Should I go 6800 or 7800 nvidia?

11. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

Look at the openmark thread