G5 mac power pc shuts down when starting

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by electriccowboys, May 5, 2010.

1. electriccowboys macrumors newbie

My g5 tower dual processor can't get past the grey screen when I start it. The computer turns itself off. It was running really slow yesterday then I got a kernal panic. Now won't start up. I tried resetting the pram, resetting the pmu and starting it from the leopard disc. I wasn't aware you had to hold the keys down for a pram reset until the comp starts itself, I was holding it for about 12 minutes and I heard the chime sound about 4 times then I let go. I got an error when I ran disk utility. Didn't really say what the problem was. It's a brand new harddrive. Been working great for months now. It's a somewhat old comp had it for close to 6 years. My theory is maybe the battery needs to be replaced? thanks.

found this handy guide, going to try some of these tonight when I get home.

2. Deepshade macrumors regular

Keep in mind you've only got a couple of weeks before Apple "officially" refuse to repair it!

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Bad internal battery shouldn't do that.. it'll only lose your time settings and whatnot when it's defunct. Sounds more like a serious problem to me.. what did the kernel panic log say?

4. electriccowboys thread starter macrumors newbie

Can't check the log, after the kernal panic I wasn't able to turn it back on. Unless there's a way to see that when you boot from disk?

A friend had a similar problem, he mentioned his mother board went. It is a "somewhat" old comp to which I push to the limits daily. Do you think thats a possibility?