G5 Motherboard Standoff Screw Size???

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Sweetfeld28, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

Guys/Gals,

I am trying to build a hackintosh. I bought a G5 case from the U of Mich, but i didn't notice it didn't have the screws. Does anyone know what size these screws are, or where i could buy them?

Also, i bought a Lian Li motherboard tray to use with the build. Does anyone happen to know if i have to use normal ATX standoffs if i use this tray, or after rearranging the Apple standoffs will everything line up?

thanks in advance.

2. quantum003 macrumors 6502a

quantum003

There's really not many screws that hold up the logic board... they're small and black and seem pretty standard. I could verify in a couple of hours for you. Or do you mean the processor standoffs? I've got a bunch of those (mostly the "big hole" variety, less of the "small hole" variation) if you do need them.

3. Sweetfeld28 thread starter macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

I'm not sure what i need exactly. Its just that i tried all the standard screws i have, including ATX case screws and standoffs. The Apple standoffs seem to be a finer Machine thread? I'm just not sure what size. and what length i need to find.

4. quantum003 macrumors 6502a

quantum003

Photograph with circles where you are missing screws?

5. Sweetfeld28 thread starter macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

Ok this should give you an idea of what i need. I think i might have found some small screws that fit the Lian Li motherboard tray but not the Apple Standoffs.

Attached Files:

6. quantum003 macrumors 6502a

quantum003

Hmm yeah, those are the processor mounting standoffs all right. How many do you need? 4? PM me if you like.

7. Sweetfeld28 thread starter macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

I might have to get back with you. I order some screws from the maker of the motherboard tray. The guy i talked with told me i would need the standoffs, and the screws that fit into the standoffs, so i ended up ordering both.

I might still need the ones for the factory standoffs, but i want to wait and see what i get first. I'll post here when i get them, if they aren't the right ones.

thanks.

8. superspiffy macrumors 6502a

Do you still have those screws?

I bought an empty G5 case and I have plenty of those standoffs but without the screws.

I spent the better part of an afternoon scouring around hardware stores and hobby shops looking for those darn little things but I could not find screws that would go all the way in those standoffs.