G5 not recognizing RAM upgrade. *Solved*

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by WalnutSpice, Aug 1, 2015.

1. WalnutSpice Suspended

WalnutSpice

So I got two 512MB RAM sticks for my G5. Currently I have the original four infinion 256MB sticks. Today I got two 512MB Infinion RAM sticks. I stuck them into my G5 and they do work, but are read as 256MB sticks. So, I'm thinking I got gyped and they have fake labels. But I was also thinking, maybe the G5 just doesn't recognize the change? I mean, It's had the same sticks in it for the last 11 years and it looks like this is the first time they've been removed. So, I'm not entirely sure. I've also never done a RAM upgrade in a Mac. I've only ever done this stuff in Windows PCs.

2. WalnutSpice thread starter Suspended

WalnutSpice

Heres some screenshots of what my G5 is showing. I'd show photos of the RAM but I don't have any way to get pictures onto my G5 at the moment. The bottom two slots should say 512MB

Attached Files:

3. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Remember that the slots go outwards so the two in the middle go together and so forth and so on. If you have the RAM mixed, there is a chance that the slot will identify as 256.

4. WalnutSpice thread starter Suspended

WalnutSpice

So should I take the two 256s out and just the leave the 512s?

5. WalnutSpice, Aug 1, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2015

WalnutSpice thread starter Suspended

WalnutSpice

Alright I'm sorry. I've been doing stuff all day and am exhausted. I'll try what you said.

Update: Did what you said and it worked perfectly. Thanks so much I never would've figured that out myself.

6. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Yes, remove the 256s
    Put the 512s in the center two slots.
    Just to make sure, if you think of the slots as numbered 1,2,3 and 4, The pair of 512s will be in slots 2 and 3.

Are those recognized as 512MB now?
    You could then add the 256s to the outside slots 1 and 4.

If the "512MB" sticks are still not recognized properly, and you want to return them (and you should), then try to get 1GB sticks instead.

7. WalnutSpice thread starter Suspended

WalnutSpice

I figured it out, but thank you. Also I got the RAM free from an old PC at the local recycling centre. So it would be pointless to return them. Also got a nice SATA hard drive and an AMD Athlon 64 CPU from that same PC and I got a new radio. Recycling centres are literally amazing.

8. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Glad you got it working! Report back if you have any issues.