G5 not waking up from sleep

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by noel4r, Apr 15, 2007.

1. noel4r macrumors 6502a

Hello, my beloved Powermac Dual 1.8 has been giving me a problems lately. It wont wake from sleep and after I reboot it, it wont even start. After the chime, the screen stays blank and the fans start roaring high after a few minutes. I brought it to the Genius Bar. They ran diagnostics on it and concluded that the problem is the 3rd party RAM. I then removed the RAM when I got home and it worked for a day. Now, the problem is back. I already reset the the VRAM and the SMU. I'll bring it back today to the Apple Store but I dont know if they will even entertain me this time as they didn't even charge me for running the hardware diagnostics last time. BTW, no PCI cards installed except for the original video card and no external device is connected. Any thoughts?

2. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

3. noel4r thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yup, I've done that. It manages to start the computer but it freezes again when it goes to sleep.

4. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

Try to repair the drive in Disc Utility from the Install Disc. More information on this too.

5. Kodex macrumors member

Sounds like you are experincing a known issue with that model range, check your serial number range

http://www.apple.com/support/exchange_repair/powermac.html

Dont beat yup the Geniuses on this one they have to remember a lot of numbers and sometimes a few can sneak through just bring it the paper work and the machine and they can verify/deny this issue for you.

6. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

That program is only for Dual 2Ghz, Dual 2.3Ghz and Quad 2.5Ghz PowerMac G5s. The OP has a Dual 1.8Ghz PowerMac G5.

7. Kodex macrumors member

Once you have removed the third party ram, insert your orginal "grey" disc that came with your tower, disc 1. Boot your system and hold down option. If you system doesnt boot try using a PRAM/PMU reset to try and get it going. If you can get up select the AHT boot partition and you can run the same test the genius most likely ran and see if you get any errors. If you do it will lead you down the right path.

You are certainly experincing a hardware failure, the problem with towers is it is real hard to narrow down. The power supply sounds like a cause of failure on this since it may not be putting out the proper trickle voltage which can cause your CPU to freeze up when it goes into low power sleep. It can be a damaged CPU which will prevent it from entering low power mode, or it can even be a logic board which could not be properly reading your ram.

8. Allotriophagy macrumors 6502a

9. noel4r thread starter macrumors 6502a

What's the AHT boot partition? I only see my hard drive and the Install OS X option?

10. noel4r thread starter macrumors 6502a

How can I check if the power supply is working properly?