Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JLaFrance

macrumors member
Original poster
May 24, 2004
I need a new machine, cost really isnt an issue since i started saving the day G5's came out :D , I'm going to be doing heavy photoshop, movies and I love Halo ;) I already have a 23'' display. Should I buy a duel 2 GHz G5 now or wait till after the event in June? I can afford to wait till then but I dont know if i want one of the new ones (which will hopefully be out) because I dont want to be stuck with any problems not ironed out until the 2nd gen. Also, I'd like a big (150 GB+) external HD (FW800) any suggestions? Thanks for your help!

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Reading almost any other topic will guide you in this decision. If you can wait, you should. New G5s are "almost" a certainty around time frame of this event - now the question seems to be "how fast?". If you can wait, do so. :)

neonart

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2002
Near a Mac since 1993.
I've been back and forth with this same question since DECEMBER! I should've made my purchase then, and enjoyed it for almost six months now.

But now we're way too close to the second coming and it's just too risky. I got a good deal on one just a few days ago, but held off due to WWDC.

It's only one month away. Wait it out and you'll have more options. Even it you get a current gen G5, you'll save hundreds.

Bhennies

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2004
NYC & Baltimore
JLaFrance said:
I need a new machine, cost really isnt an issue since i started saving the day G5's came out :D , I'm going to be doing heavy photoshop, movies and I love Halo ;) I already have a 23'' display. Should I buy a duel 2 GHz G5 now or wait till after the event in June? I can afford to wait till then but I dont know if i want one of the new ones (which will hopefully be out) because I dont want to be stuck with any problems not ironed out until the 2nd gen. Also, I'd like a big (150 GB+) external HD (FW800) any suggestions? Thanks for your help!
The new g5's will be second gen. There are a couple problems with the current g5's that need to be ironed out. It's not that much longer to wait.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.