G5 optimal memory configuration

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by goosemoose, Jan 25, 2009.

1. goosemoose macrumors newbie

I have 5.5GB of memory spread across the 8 memory slots in the G5.

Its a bit of a mess :rolleyes: but I have:
    2x 256 in slots 0-1
    2x 512 in slots 2-3
    4x 1GB in slots 4-7

Now despite all that memory my G5 seems to puff and pant when I'm running more than one memory intensive app - like editing iPhoto fotos and shuffling iTune playlists etc.

I wondered if shuffling the memory into a better configuration (like the 1GBs in the first slots?) would make any difference? :confused:

OR if I tried upgrading the 256s to 1GBs? Now if i go down this path, can i simply switch them - or will i lose data? :confused:

Sorry if these are silly Qs :eek:

THANKS! :D

2. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Why not upgrade to the maximum 8gb :D Then you won't have to worry about the memory configuration ;)

You won't loose any data when replacing memory. Just make sure you power it down and remove the power cord before replacing them.

3. TrapOx macrumors 6502

16GB is the maximum.

Your 5.5gb is fine, thats exactly the configuration I'm running right now. All that matters is that its installed in matching pairs in the correct slots. Installing the larger sticks in the first slots will improve access time since it won't have to address across as many modules.

If RAM gets down below $20/pair I might upgrade to all 1GB sticks. Right now its around $25/pair.

Attached Files: