G5 or Core Duo?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by andrebgood, Jul 9, 2007.

1. andrebgood macrumors newbie

Ill be waiting till early next year for a brand new imac leopard/peryn/metal/thinner!

But for now i need one that would help me with design/animation/video softwares. As im still an apprenticce, im not expecting to need super powerfull machines. Not yet!

ill find the G5's 20" on ebay for £500, and the core duo for £750.

Im sure there is a difference in between them but not sure how large the gap is.

Please, let me know if the G5 wouldnt be able to run well the new designs app.

Any other main difference in between those 2?

Thanks for your attention. Andre

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

If you have older version of these "design apps", for example Photoshop (or any CS component) prior to CS3 then it will run better on the G5. But all software going forward is likely to be optimised for Intel...

3. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

if this is just a filler machine get the cheaper G5 style imac, well it depends on how long your going to need it. say greater than a year go with the core duo, less than that go G5.

The core duo will run it faster and a few new adobe apps won't run on the old PPC (G5 included) architecture, but the G5 will run the apps great, as long as the apps are universal.

4. Igantius macrumors 65816