g5 or hackintosh

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by NickolasSin, Feb 13, 2008.

1. NickolasSin macrumors member

NickolasSin

Hey there everyone,
    Before everyone gets out of hand with flaming, I have purchased a leopard dvd (as I always purchase the apple OS every time a new version is released) and will be purchasing a new one for the hackintosh (if that is my desired route)... Yes, yes... I understand all legal mishaps, and yes I understand I simply will not be able to boot my retail disc ( the disc is just so I feel as if I am supporting Jobs and all his hard work, ohh and lets not forget Woz as well...) Kalyway is my O Sex X installation iso of choice.
    Alright, so onto business.
    I currently own a Macbook pro, a 2.6ghz model with max ram, etc, I also own a g4 quick silver. Lately i've come to the conclusion that the desktop area of my computing life needs and upgrade. ( I have been doing a lot of audio recording with logic pro, as well up 24/7 doing reports and lab follow ups. My MacBook Pro is really taking a beating) However, my funds are limited at this time to about $1,500,00. Those college loans hurt with med school. Anyways, I honestly can't afford even a used MacPro. Before I forget, I will also be needing a new monitor as my 15 apple lcd is no longer large enough (haha)
    So here's my choices, either buy a used or refurb g5 and a decent sized 3rd party monitor...Or Build myself a system with a Quad core intel, with 8gb's of ram, 2 500gb Hard drives, 8800gt, etc (of course only supported hardware off the OS X 86 HCL) With that I will also be buying two 22in acer lcds and a gorgeous NZXT case.
    Opinions Please..............

2. TTTimo macrumors newbie

I am not sure if you read this article:

http://macapper.com/2008/01/19/diy-hackintosh-tutorial-build-a-mac-pro-for-cheap/

Might be of help.

I am also interested in building a budget 'Mac Pro'. The only thing that is stopping me is the potential hassle of future updates and compatiblity issues. Maybe you would know more than me. Where do you go to for information on what hardwares to use? I would like to know as well. Thanks.

3. notorioussloth macrumors newbie

I'm on the same boat as well, and i have a quad core, that i want to use. (i got it really cheap) whats the best way to do this, to pay for a mac g5 motherboard or just use hackintosh(osx86). which will i get drivers for as well.
    or get a used mac and sell the parts i have

4. amusiccale macrumors 6502

Well, I'm thinking: you're looking for a power-desktop, it seems. Unless you're using a number of PPC apps, though, I wouldn't see a great benefit in the G5. I can't suggest that you do anything against any license agreements, but I wonder if even the imacs would do what you need for recording (and use the difference on firewire interface, preamps, etc.)

5. barijazz macrumors 6502

Building a hackintosh is a great idea but is just not there yet. Update and compatability problems, as well as the legal issues. Go for the g5, that way you can at least get support at an apple store.

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

store.apple.com
    Refurbished Mac

Refurbished Mac Pro Quad 2.0GHz Intel Xeon $1799

If you are getting paid for the work, you need real tools. What would happen if something messed up with hacktintosh and you lost all data?

Apple has 0% interest loans the last time I checked.

7. deniser macrumors 6502

deniser

A friend of mine tried hackintosh on his PC. There were lots of issues with it including the legality. So he switched to mac in the end. I would not recommend Hackintosh from the issues he had with sata drives not being recognized, wireless and pci card issues to name a few.

The legality really is the main issue, and should this be discussed in a mac forum ?

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

read this :

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=4946042#post4946042

9. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

Regardless if you buy the DVD or not, if I'm not mistaken the OS is STILL not allowed to be installed on anything BUT Apple hardware. (Speaking from a legality standpoint)

Apple's OS isn't licensed like Windows is. Windows allows install on a "computer" or "desktop PC" which would include an Apple computer. Apple's OS is for Apple hardware. So just buying the DVD doesn't cover you, you'll just be wasting your money.

Now that that's out of the way, I'd say save up or go with something less expensive. If you wanted to do it right and help promote Apple NOT putting validation in their software let's buy a Mac, used, refurbished, ebay, or even just a display (non-Apple or whatever) to expand your screen size.

Hackintosh's are a good way to experiment to see if the OS is for you, but not only is it not legit but there's no guarantee some if not most of the software for Macs will even install.

Bottom line, do you want to take the risk of spending that money on a machine that within a short time you'll end up putting Windows on it because it's to much trouble to get Mac software to run or just save a little and get something that you know will work?

10. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

from what i gather, eula violation != illegal

now that we have that out of the way the eula also says "apple labeled hardware" does this mean a sticker or what?

i can see how it is enticing as you can literally build a computer with macpro specs fr like less than 1/3 the cost

11. Eric Piercey macrumors 6502

Eric Piercey

1/3 with MacPro Specs? This has been gone over already if you search, but that's an exaggeration. Not only will you pay to get those specs, you'll definitely have 3/1 the headaches. Some people love the perpetual headaches every time there's a software update, I totally understand. I've got better things to do with my time these days, but I get it completely. It's a sickness. :) PS the new Mac Pro rocks in both Win and OSX. Loving it even with just the 2600. Worth it.

12. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

I think until someone actually gets caught and prosecuted or whatever, I'm not sure we'll ever know for 100% sure if hackintosh's are legal or not.

Personally, I'd rather not take the chance................ anymore :D

I bought my iMac, I support the software products available to us Mac users now, and I would rather not see a license model like Windows come to this world.

Windows software? BAH! torrent that stuff LOL. Apple/Mac software? I buy.

It's kinda like seeing 100 people playing red-rover on the freeway. Just because none of them have been hit, doesn't mean you won't. The first time someone say "Red rover red rover..... SPLAT!"

It's the chance most of us take and/or have taken.

13. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Bearing in mind the somewhat crap nature of our Pros, we had a very serious look into Hackintosh's using the superior Dell Precisions and HP xw's, as well as some Dell Vostros and Thinkpads also getting the hackintosh treatment to potentially replace the fragile, underbuilt and overstyled Macbook Pros.

I wasn't concerned with the legality of the situation. We buy lots more gear from Apple these days than the desk/laptops, and as far as I'm concerned if you lock us into an OS-hardware relationship there should be hardware that's up to the job. We can find it easily enough on the Windows side, with Apple we have to make compromises for crap engineering (but good design of course) - and I'm not OK with that.

It's a moving goalpost and what you'll be doing is futzing with your system on a regular basis to get things running 100%. It's not terribly onerous now, especially since Leopard - but we use, and have only heavily trialled Tiger.

In the end we still experienced compatibility issues, so opted for a rebuilding / recomponenting of the Pros in different enclosures, cooling systems and power supplies and outsourced hardware maintenance to the party who carried out the modifications that we designed, and bought enough spares to keep us running until we're ready to abandon OS X (on the client side at least) for good.

If you're a single hobbyist though the situation is a little different - the relatively minor futzings required to keep a hackintosh working may be worth the cost savings on a simple Q6600-or-similar-based machine, and certainly more bang for the buck than a refurb G5.

14. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

explain how i just built a machine with a quad core processor, 4 gigs of ram, an 8800gt 512mb, 500gig hd and have it cost just over 900 bucks via newegg....

a similarly configured macpro if i remember costs like 3200 from apple.....approaching 1/4 the cost

i dont think its an exxagerration at all

15. Eric Piercey macrumors 6502

Eric Piercey

First off "a" quad core processor? Is it a Harpertown? Also the Mac Pro comes with 2 quads standard and a mobo with 2 slots, 1600MHZ FSB, uses PC2 800MHZ FS-DIMMS with a 32GB capacity, has a toolless well engineered case, and how about a warranty to boot. You might think you're up to MP spec but I'll tell ya what, feel free to benchmark your $900 Frankenstein rig vs a MP. PS Anyone who buys RAM or HD's from Apple is getting raped and we all know it. I hope you aren't including Apple's ridiculous prices on those. You can get a dual 2.8 with 8800 for just over 3k with shipping.

Furthermore, even if you manage to win the price/spec argument (I'm sure ala carte has to be cheaper, just not 1/3 the price) you'll still have to build it yourself and deal with the compatibility issues. Good for you if that's your bag.

16. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

Sorry, I don't care how much cheaper it is to built a hackintosh, I'd much rather have the real thing.

1. Supports the company that allows us to use the product. Keeps them from putting MS licensing into their software
    2. Works
    3. Works
    4. IT FRIGGIN WORKS!!!! No hassle with new updates, looking for a torrent for the update, trying to install software only to see 'This cannot be installed on this computer", Drivers work (well we all know the nuances that happened with a few things but in the end they still worked out), and in my opinion, it's more legal.

I can and often do build my own machines, but for Apple/Macs, I'd rather buy. Less hassle in the long run.

This does not mean you own a rolls royce!

[​IMG]

17. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I think it's very interesting that many people believe themselves to be competent PC builders but blame Windows for instability caused by a poorly built system - then go 'omg the scales have fallen from my eyes' when they buy a pre-built Apple machine because they have to.

18. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

I'm sorry when was I complaining about anything? I have an A+ cert, MSCE, and a Network Admin/Engineer so I KNOW how to built computers, I KNOW how Windows operates, but I would rather BUY a pre-built Mac rather than build a hackintosh. As I've stated, less hassle in the long run when dealing with OS Updates, software compatibility issues etc. I don't have the time anymore nor care to deal with making sure the hardware I buy will work while building hackintosh's, if I have an issue it's easier for me at this point in my life to just take it in, I'd rather not deal with the downtime trying to do things with a Frankenstein NewEgg/GoogleGear computer.

I'm done with that phase of my life. My time is just that my time and I'd rather use it more productively rather than dealing with trying to get a hackintosh working.

So if your bashing me I fail to see where your comment towards me is relevant under any circumstance regarding the above conversation.

If not, then no harm no foul.

19. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

If you want a reliable machine that you use daily buy a mac, if you want a hobby to play around with endlessly get a hackintosh, nothing works 100% and updates are a bitch, not recommended for your main computer.

20. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i downgraded it to a single quad but i did add the ram. either way if you go third party, the macpro is now 2800 vs my 900

i got the intel q6600 which is kentsfield i believe

i dont remember saying i was building a hackintosh but rather a machine with comparable performance

i made it for gaming. when it comes to macs, i agree the real thing is the way to go

21. Dainas macrumors newbie

Perhaps if it was a 2.6ghz for that price, ugh.

Exactly, allot of people do get enjoyment from such machines that are never 'finished' and more power to them. If you want a no hassle machine that will always work in osx for regular plain computer stuff dirt cheap, I cannot think of anything better than an old powermac, imac or a mini. If you want a gamer, get a PC and a workhorse, well shell out workhorse prices and get a MacPro.

22. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

Actually, Aslong as you have an SSE 3. dual core processor, you can use the original apple kernel, which means its behaves and updates exactly as you'd want it to. OSx86 has come a long way, and if you follow the HCL, you should be geared.

G5's are still fast, but their days are numbered.

23. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

Do research and get a motherboard that is well supported and you will be extremely satisfied with a hackintosh. Be sure to check things that you might want to use, like if the motherboard's sound fully works (surround/mic/etc). The new EFI bootloader has brought osx86 into an entirely different light, its nothing like it used to be. They do not need constant attention... once they work then thats it, the new ISO's like Kalyway and iATKOS dont need any tweaking if you choose the hardware wisely.

I dont think its worth getting some slow G5, they are too outdated to waste money on and WAY too expensive right now.

If you are up for a project and have access to some metal cutting tools (like a dremel) then you could get a G5 case on ebay for under 100 bucks and have a hackintosh that looks great and has plenty of speed.

24. NickolasSin thread starter macrumors member

NickolasSin

Yeah, the hardware I picked out is the exact rig a buddy of has, which with the kalyway install works 100% including onboard firewire, video, sound, etc.
    It's even on the OS X 86 HCL... He has absolutely no problems with his machine, which is why I am willing to pay anything for this generic hardware. Sure, I'd much have a nice new 8 core Mac Pro, or even a quad for that matter... But I am not using all my money to get one. A headache you say this hackintosh will be? No, the headache will be making sure I have enough cash in the bank each month, while I am in and out of bio labs, and up all night studying for anatomy courses. Look, if someone can fine me a Mac Pro for 1400 bucks I am sold, anything else I can't afford. Like I mentioned before the only monitor I have is an old 15in apple lcd. And as far as preformace goes between the Mac Pro quad and the Hackintosh, this specific build my buddy has blows the quad core away... I absolutely agree the 8 core Mac Pro would anailate the Hackintosh, but lets be realistic... I don't need a server...I need modern perfomace and a decent size screen, on a budget of course... What I do need however is OS X, windows won't cut it. I am willing to take whatever legal risks...I mean please... break down my door apple and sue me because I used a hacked version of your operating system on my generic pc hardware, which I might add is of a better value/performance ratio. Ohh and lets not forget that I paid for a Leopard dvd, brand new in the box...un used. Hell maybe I should put duct tape on the box and write "Software Liscense for my copy of leopard I am running on my hardware"

25. dal20402 macrumors 6502

Wow. You complain that MBPs are fragile and then you plan on replacing them with Vostros? Come to think of it, my boombox sounds bad, so I guess I'll throw it out and get a clock radio.

Although it's OT, I'm also curious in what respect your Mac Pro is deficient compared with either a Precision or an xw. It would have to be pretty substantial to make up for the total lack of OS X drivers.