G5 or iMac, which is hotter?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Lancer, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Lancer macrumors 68020

Lancer

I'm getting the new iMac, when it's released and was wondering how hot do they get?

I currently have a G5 Tower and last summer (here in Australia) it would scream as the temp rose, and become annoying. Just wondering how hot does the iMac 27" get. I don't have air-con but I'm considering it, if I can afford it. Even if it's a small unit just to cool down part of the house.

2. Reason077 macrumors 68000

Reason077

Pretty much any iMac is going to run much cooler and quieter than any G5 tower. The new ones especially so.

My 2008 iMac is pretty near silent now that I've replaced the HDD with an SSD, even when under load.

3. Lancer thread starter macrumors 68020

Lancer

I'll likely be using HDD for the time being (cost v size) but I might invest in air con for the computer room this summer if things get too hot.

4. Old Muley macrumors 6502a

Old Muley

We actually had to have an electrician move our thermostat away from our home office and into a more central location in the house because of the heat our G5 threw off. It would raise the temperature enough to cause the air conditioning to kick on. My iMac (early 2009) does get warm, but nowhere near like the old G5 tower. Those things could have substituted as space heaters.

5. iMikeT macrumors 68020

I have a 27" 2011 iMac BTO to the max. I don't like having the air conditioning on unless it's truly needed so it does get a bit warm where I live and the room I have my iMac in gets equally warm, with the temperature getting to be 30° and higher. On those days, my usual tasks really make use of the iMac and iStat records high internal temperatures. During these times however, the fans never go into full speed and the iMac stays quiet. I sit about 2 1/2 to 3 feet away from the iMac and never feel any heat from it.

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Having used both for a while, the G5 PowerMacs are by far the hottest Macs ever made. I use one to heat my workshop. Replaced an eMac acting as a space heater and it does a much better job at it as well.

7. iMacAquarium macrumors newbie

hot iMacs

The current iMacs get very hot to touch - especially on the top of the housing. This is normal and they are all like that. And like all large LCDs you can feel the heat radiating off them. However unless there is something wrong (like dust choked heat sinks) the fans run silent and you virtually never hear any noise.
    But even the G5s as hot as they were not as noisy as the G4 mirror doors. They were so noisy they were nicknamed The "G4 Windtunnel".

8. Lancer thread starter macrumors 68020

Lancer

I only just moved the G5 under my desk, should have done it back at the start of winter, keep my feet warmer LOL

Before the G5 I had a G4 tower, can't remember it getting as loud as the G5. I was hoping the iMac would be cooler.

Still we don't know what Apple is planing to release, they are well over due now and I'm beginning to think there is an outside chance of a new model, which could change things again (re the heat issue).

I'm planing on getting the i7 and better video plus 2Tb HDD, this all depends on what Apple does. It shouldn't affect it too much right?