G5 or white intel imac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by utstudent, Aug 29, 2011.

1. utstudent macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5302b Safari/7534.48.3)

im looking to buy either a imac g5 or the white intel imac for my dad. He will be using it for emailing, music, video simple stuff like that. So my question is , is there a significant power difference in these two processors?

2. VeganHipster macrumors regular

I would buy an Intel iMac just so he can get to at least Snow Leopard or Lion.

3. raver001 macrumors newbie

raver001

Get the intel Mac.. Just for ease of compatibility and support.

4. AdrianK macrumors 68020

The earliest Intel iMac gets a geek bench score of ~2400, the G5 iMacs score between 840-1179; that is a huge difference. Go with the intel for sure, it will be great with Snow Leopard.

5. speacock, Aug 29, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2011

speacock macrumors member

Intel

We have a G5 PPC Mac Pro (or PowerMac or whatever it was called before it got an Intel processor) and a C2D Intel MacBook.

We are about to get rid of the G5 and buy another Intel based machine there are 3 reasons why the Intel based systems are better from our perspective:

1. Applications - The number of applications available for the PPC is shrinking fast - All the latest Adobe products are Intel only, OS X Lion is Intel only, Microsoft Office 2011 is Intel only, several of the Photoshop plug-ins we use

2. Performance - Even our little C2D MacBook with 4GB RAM and it's 5400RPM disk which cost £900 leaves the £4000 dual processor G5 with 8GB RAM for dead performance wise, Photoshop filter times of 20 mins come down to 2 min or less

3. Reliability - Software (that you can get) for the G5 seems to get more and more flaky; whether that's because the machine is getting old or because vendors devote less time and money to testing on the PPC platform I don't know, but our G5 is very unreliable now.

Of course the G5 is cheap second-hand, but I'm guessing cost isn't your main consideration, if it were I guess you'd be looking at PC rather than a Mac anyway.

6. Qwaf macrumors member

Just go with the Intel. You'd regret getting a PPC Mac now for anything other than collecting them, for the reasons mentioned above. Compatibility and better performance.

7. YanniDepp macrumors 6502

YanniDepp

G5 can only run Mac OS X Leopard
    Not really worth buying one unless it's pretty cheap. A lot of software is moving to be Intel only.

Core Duo can only run Mac OS X Snow Leopard
    If you can find one cheap, it's worth it. But you're quite limited by RAM (2GB officially, 3GB unofficially).

Core2Duo can run Mac OS X Lion
    If you can find a Core2Duo for a little more than a Core Duo, take it. It runs the latest version of Mac OS X.