Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Why?

Ports on the back? Oh, god, why? It is so nice not to have to reach around to plug and unplug stuff, and no, I don't want to have to buy a docking station to get that functionality. And while the hell would you want plastic?

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
phonic pol said:
Either machined from a solid block of stainless steel - heavy and expensive but awesome or a lightweight carbon-fibre shell - feather light and still awesome.

Or they could use some lightweight metallic Nasa derivative to bypass G5 heat problems!

Carbon-fibre sounds really awsome. And some nice colors would be great.

I really hope they change the design with the G5. My guess is that the iBooks will get the colors and design of the current iPod mini. About the Powerbook - I am not sure, but I guess no choice here. I would expect somehow in line with the current G5s. And the iMac like the iBook in the current iPod mini design. Same colors.

wide

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2004
NYC
All this metal...

To celebrate the 10.4 "Tiger", Apple should design tiger-skin PowerBooks. Soft and furry, so everyone would want one. I would certainly pay for it if I had the money.

If that's not possible, how about a nice, bendy silver and blue plastic case with hundreds of moving parts, just like my Inspiron 600m. Then I could just use PearPC and wouldn't have to switch... :D

Soc7777777

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2004
a pc users opinion

i have and use a pc, but i am getting a mac for my next computer, prob a rev b or c g5 powerbook, but heres my opinion on the form factor of the g5's.... i think apple should offer 2 form factors (1 ibook form factor and 2 powerbook form factors)... one of the only reasons i didnt get a powerbook is size... i know my dell 300m is 2.9lbs and .9" tall with lid shut and i love this fact about it... i think the future of computing is the ultraportable, and i think that apples could use 2 options, i thin and light version g5 and a 'normal' g5 about the same size as now... (this only applies to the 12" because the 17 and 15 are really thin already) one of the options should be to have a 12" without a optical drive, or even an external... i find that i really like the external i have, because i rarely use it because of programs like alcohol 120% that create virtual cd or dvd drives and cd images that reduce the need of having a drive all the time and it runs at 200x.. much faster than any actual drive available...

so the point of my rant is i think the new form factor should have a 12" thin and light ultraportable form factor (about 3-3.5lbs and less than 1" tall) along with the form factors they use now which i REALLY think look great!!!

anybody agree or disagree with me????? i would really like to know....

Soc7777777

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2004
wide said:
All this metal...

To celebrate the 10.4 "Tiger", Apple should design tiger-skin PowerBooks. Soft and furry, so everyone would want one. I would certainly pay for it if I had the money.

If that's not possible, how about a nice, bendy silver and blue plastic case with hundreds of moving parts, just like my Inspiron 600m. Then I could just use PearPC and wouldn't have to switch... :D

I Really disagree, that would produce a bad image for apple that some pc users already have... that apples are made for rich women and old men and small children, not the average power user... but i know that that was probibly a joke post, i just thought i would say that just in case

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
attachment.php

wide

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2004
NYC
Soc7777777 said:
i know that that was probibly a joke post, i just thought i would say that just in case

No, not a joke at all! I want a nice tiger to die for my computing needs. :rolleyes:

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Soc7777777 said:
i have and use a pc, but i am getting a mac for my next computer, prob a rev b or c g5 powerbook.

Now there's optimism, or at least planning ahead. :) I think I'll get a new Windows computer with Longhorn SP2. ;)

Carbon fiber would be pretty cool, but I wonder how tough it would be to make it so that it doesn't get scratched up and nasty looking. I guess if they coat it with enough plastic. :( B/c CF is very strong in the sense of tensile strength along the weave, but it isn't very strong in terms of being scratched across the layers. And then if they put a lot of shiny plastic on it, it will have the same scratch issues as my beloved iBook.

I really like the idea of something that would come out gun-metal or dark titanium grey, as long as it doesn't involve a coating that would wear away. Anodized Al would be interesting too, although it tends to chip away after a while. Maybe in five or six colors like the iPod Mini? Or maybe this should be the G5 *iBook*....

What about magnesium polished?

Or....hmmm....CHROME...with a spinning Apple Logo. And two processors, so we can call it the PB 'Dub. Otherwise we'll have to call it the Chromedaddy. :D

Soc7777777

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2004
mkrishnan said:
Now there's optimism, or at least planning ahead. :) I think I'll get a new Windows computer with Longhorn SP2. ;)

haha yeah, i just bought my dell a month ago, so im good for a while, i'm thinking 2 years from now i'll be in the market again

BrianKonarsMac

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2004
i personally would like to see a levitating orb that runs off of wireless firewire and ultra wide band wireless, that doubles as a portable music/movie player with retinal implants.

wide

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2004
NYC
mkrishnan said:
Maybe in five or six colors like the iPod Mini?

I doubt this would be possible--

I think one of the reasons Apple is having such a hard time supplying iPod minis is because they weren't sure which colors would be popular and which colors would blow. Luckily, the minis are cheaper and aren't that big investment (probably cost <$150).

With powerbooks, things get much more expensive, and then you would have to put them together with the different colors etc.... If I ordered a two or three thousand dollar computer, I would not want to 5 weeks (the wait time for a mini) until the computer is shipped. Then there is post service wait, being at home when it arrives, etc....

but u can get colored pbooks from this place instead :) :

http://www.colorwarepc.com

wide

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2004
NYC
jayscheuerle said:
Runs a little hot...

lol..i would actually buy that, especially if the four fans doubled as speakers....and a subwoofer on the bottom. hmmm 4.1 surround sound?

apple always has had shoddy speakers on their notebooks, especially the 17 inch. most 17 inch PC notebooks have a built in subwoofer and up to four speakers

g30ffr3y

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
buffalo ny
i would love to see the unicorn that is the g5 powerbook to be black... i dont care much what they make it out of so long as its strong...

as far as lights... red would be so nice... but it doesnt really fit in with apple... the red lights on a black powerbook would look almost sinister... apple products are generally pleasant... how about just doing classic
white lights...

put some film on the inside of the lid to make the light up apple look almost
chrome against the black laptop...

and let the keyboard lights just be nice and white...

as far as styling... i like the tibook the best of all apple laptops... something about the aluminum doesnt sit right with me... and the pismos were over the top in gaudy styling...

apple... keep it simple and sexy...

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
wide said:
With powerbooks, things get much more expensive, and then you would have to put them together with the different colors etc.... If I ordered a two or three thousand dollar computer, I would not want to 5 weeks (the wait time for a mini) until the computer is shipped. Then there is post service wait, being at home when it arrives, etc....

Yeah, this is a good point... but I'm not sure such a thing wouldn't be doable at least for BTO units. And think about it this way...after Apple comes to get a better grip on predicting color demands on the Mini, do you really think it should add 5 wks to do this? My engraved iPod 3G and my BTO iBook G4 both took a lot less time to ship than that, and they both had to ship straight-from-factory bc of the customization.

But I'm not that picky...I just think it would be cute. :) And more for the iBook really -- different plastic cases should definitely be doable, since Dell does it now on some of theirs (of course, a new coat of paint doesn't do much for ugly :( )

Grokgod

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
I predict that there will be a new form factor with colors for the iBooks!

They will simply press a button at the factory telling the machine which nozzles of paint to use and presto, chango, colored ibooks.

Make a pink on for my GIRL and she would wet her pants! uhh sorry.

Powerbooks and am not so sure about, but i think the aluminum HAS to GO!!

wide

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2004
NYC
I too think the Alumium PowerBooks need to be replaced. The Pismos were also ugly...I have one (and its my only Mac :(). I would glady trade it in for any newer version of the PowerBook. I would sell it on eBay but it was a gift (a friend of mine works for a company that switched to PC recently, so I was given the Pismo).

I also thing that Apple already attempted to make a redesigned Pismo--with the Clamshell iBook. The Clamshell iBook does bear a similar design to the Pismo. It has the same overhead look (except in multiple colors) and it is thick, heavy, and (now) people are collecting them and making them toilet seats (doesn't it look like one?).

Apple had it right with the Titanium PowerBooks. Titanium. It's just such a cool, expensive, classy word. Aluminum...now I'm thinking about Reynolds Wrap.

Apple's next metal ought to be carbon--strong(er than both titanium and aluminum) and light(er than titanium and aluminum, also). Whatever they do, I hope they get rid of that ugly plastic trim on the Aluminum PowerBooks--all it does is separate from metal case of the computer and look ugly.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
sinse when is carbon fiber stronger than titainium?

i want a powerbook case made out of carbon nanotubes or bucky balls the stroungest materials on earth :)

polished titainium is good i'm saving up to get a 1GHz tibook to strip the paint off and polish it untill i can see my face in it :eek:

stockscalper

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2003
Area 51
Just go down to any pc computer store and take a look at the 11 pound bricks in the wintel world that pass for laptops and you'll gladly appreciate the Powerbooks.

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
wide said:
apple always has had shoddy speakers on their notebooks, especially the 17 inch. most 17 inch PC notebooks have a built in subwoofer and up to four speakers

who cares?

speakers are "shoddy" if they cannot make a 100dB sound pressure at 50Hz, so don't expect miracles with speakers so small. and why on earth would anyone want to have four speakers in a laptop? you cannot make a decent surround sound with speakers so close to each other.

and subwoofer? give me a break. that's a device that can make audible sound below 50Hz, notably between the 25-35Hz area where the definition of 5-string bass lies. some manufacturers do tend to call their speakers "subwoofers" when they are meant to be used in addition to their other crappy speakers. some "subwoofers" i have seen don't even come close to 50Hz, and that should be the highest frequency. some 100-160Hz is NOT a subwoofer at all.

Wyrm

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2003
Toekeeyoe, Japan
NOT PLASTIC!!!!

Grokgod said:
I think a return to plastic would be better, and some color! :p

AIiieeeeeeee!!!! Not PLASTIC!!!! Noooooooo! [sound fades as from someone falling into a bottomless abyss]

Actually, it will be different... it won't be aluminium... it will be Meshed Aluminium!!! Ha ha ha ha. So far, Al is the best material I've seen for a laptop - sure, sure, sure... they might be able to give your some Corvette curves or something.

Having 2 batteries would be nice too.... who needs a DVD player 95% of the time?

Maybe only a few more months to find out...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.