Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spitfirejd

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 28, 2004
Magnolia, Delaware, USA
You're one lucky... How do you call somebody that lucky in English?

I think in the Queen's English I would be a "jammy sod" :)

And do you really have to post such things on public forum and make folks jealous as hell?

But that's true, Apple is extremely generous in such kind of situations. Kudos to Apple and congratulations to you

Sorry to make you jealous, but I just wanted everyone to know how great Apple is and if anyone else has the same problem, how to get help from Apple, like FunkyChicken.

bigdz68

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2004
Bay YAYrea
Well I have a Dual 2.5 Late 2004 Powermac that had a coolant leak back in June of '08. After bringing it to a apple authorized center, it ended up getting fixed out of warranty. They replaced all the internal components....logic board, processors, power supply etc.

About 5 months went by and I decided to finally power my machine down for updates. This Mac never gets turned off and rarely gets put into sleep mode.
Well I guess I should have tested it on/off earlier because it wouldn't power up! By the time I was able to get it down the my local Mac store for diagnostics they found nothing wrong. I guess once the system cooled down it would start up like a charm. Well I waited a few more weeks and after getting thermal runaway errors I brought it back to a different Mac Store. Showed the logs to the tech as he was able to power it up on the first try and he determined one of the processors is bad. So I found out the refurb parts only had a 90 day warranty. Talk about trouble for me. They said there was nothing they could do and have a good day!

SO basically I got all new components or refurbs and due to a faulty processor that was probably bad right away but since I never power cycled the machine it wouldnt have shown up. Yes a had thermal issues but wasn't until I started taxing the system! Next time Im going to make sure to power down every month or so! I am extremely frustrated with the whole situation considering this thing is running on one processor but cant be trusted!

If anyone thinks I should try calling Apple and explaining over & over I will try but Im guessing its not worth it! I plan on getting a new Mac Pro when the new processor line comes but it sure would be nice to have a trusty working G5 that I spent some serious coin on over the years upgrading HDs and adding video cards to.

Thoughts anyone?

Oh and thanks for reading!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.