G5 Powermac Fan Control program?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by bradc, Jul 23, 2008.

1. bradc macrumors 6502

Is there a software program to increase the fan speed on a G5 Powermac? I searched but didn't find anything.

Thanks!

2. Toronto Mike macrumors regular

I'm curious as well. I have the opposite problem.

Tonight my dual 2.0 is quiet, but lately the fans started to get louder 10-15 minutes after I start it - and stay that way until the session is over and I shut down. Is this normal? Is there software that can regulate the fan noise? This happens when I am doing very little with my machine. I bought a used G5 and have used it for two months without this problem, then two weeks ago it started to do this half the time. It's not insanely loud, but enough to border on the level of mildly irritating. Before when this happened, it ran much quieter than my G4 and I was very pleased.

I hope there is an answer out there that can help the both of us.

Mike

3. wpc33 macrumors 6502

wpc33

I bought a used G5 about a month ago, and had no fan problems yet, but have you dusted the insides very thoroughly? When I brought mine home, it needed about an hour of wiping, and blowing (huh-huh) and it's still only 90% clean.
    If there is a blanket of dust somewhere, it could be retaining the heat.
    That, or a clean erase/install of OSX(doubtful)

I'd like to interject a related question: Has anybody ever replaced the G5 fans with quieter ones? Mine are fine, but hey, thought I'd ask. I could be up for it. Thanks

4. bradc thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I used to have a Dual 2.5ghs Powermac but I sold it 2yrs ago. Now I have a Mac Pro & a fan utility and I could have sworn I had a fan program for my G5.

My friend is having troubles with his G5 so I'm looking for a fan program.

5. Lord Zedd macrumors 6502a

Lord Zedd

6. Toronto Mike macrumors regular

Thanks guys for the good advice. I have not cleaned the dust out of the machine. Are there any special things to avoid? I'll try using the canned air and blow out the dust. I want to avoid touching any of the electronics.

It's interesting, even as I write this response, my machine is relatively quiet - but turn it on next time and the fans will rev higher.

Thanks for the input.

Mike

7. Forced Perfect macrumors 6502

Forced Perfect

As a new owner of a really, really sweet dual 2.7 GHz G5 with 3.5 GB RAM which my uncle who just bought a Mac Pro gave me for free (!!!) I was thinking it would be nice to run the drive bay fan at full to keep my drives cooler. Bummer that there is no way to control it.

I bought a Radeon x800 (for PC) on eBay to flash for my MDD G4 1.25 GHz, but since I got this new baby I'll be flashing it in the G5. That should add to the noise from both the GPU fan and I suspect as the power usage in the AGP/PCI-X slots goes up, the slot fan speeds up.

My CPUs run between 50 and 70C, from what I've read that is pretty normal for my model. But drives always want to be cooler (~40C right now).

8. wpc33 macrumors 6502

wpc33

I too, flashed a PC GPU. I converted a 7800GS with the help of the great people at www.strangedogs.com
    The card's fan was loud as a hairdryer. I unscrewed it, and the plastic cover to the heatsink. I put a $6, 80mm Sunon case-fan ontop of it with an elastic, and it's cool and silent!
    There is the occasional way around noisy fans.:)

9. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

Having a well cooled room is one way to keep the G5 in good shape. Cleaning the fans out and removing all dust is another good remedy suggested above.

Congrats on your freebee, that G5 runs with Liquid Cooling + Fans, so I'm sure it keeps cool inside PLUS the system has automatic thermal control.

Also, on the G5 in the energy settings, you can set it to reduced (half clock speed), auto (up and down depending on use), and highest (full clock speed, full performance).

That's all I can add.

10. Lord Zedd macrumors 6502a

Lord Zedd

Not quite half, they clock down to 1.8ghz.