G5 PowerMac OS 10.5 DVD mouse and keyboard not working

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by michaeld4500, Jul 3, 2013.

1. michaeld4500 macrumors newbie

Hi I purchased a G5 Powermac dual 2.0Ghz with no ram or HDD. Fitted ram, Batt and HDD. I have OS 10.5 retail and when it finally(takes about 10min) gets to the select a language screen keyboard and mouse are frozen.
    Ran the ASD and all tests passed.
    Tried different ram same.
    Installed same OS an friends 1.8Ghz G5 Powermac removed the HDD and installed in mine boots, gets to a desktop and same problem. The screen clock is working and flashes( : ).
    Tried Alu and G3 Imac Keyboards and mouse.
    Stumped,:confused: Help

2. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

Were the fans at full speed when it froze? Where is the HDD connected on the lower bay or the upper bay? Try moving your HDD in between the two.

3. UniqueDesigns, Jul 4, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2013

UniqueDesigns macrumors newbie

Do you have older boxes that prove these keyboards USB cables are successfully connecting them to the older boxes.
    If they do work on the older boxes, and don't on any, of the 3 USB ports, then since your HDD is new, you may have to reset the PRAM at bootup.
    key command - Command+Option + P+R for 4 cycles then release the keys.
    Since you were able to load the 10.5 on this new HDD and the box must have launched properly from the boot DVD, but it won't boot now, then it sounds like you did not reformat the HDD to the Apple Journaled HFS+ file system.
    You must √ the Disk Utility check box that makes it bootable, as well.
    The Disk Utility app. is in the Applications/Utilities folder
    Which bay did you install the HDD into, upper or lower?
    Is the Ram in the proper order if you have more than 1 stick?

4. Zotaccian macrumors 6502a

Zotaccian

I have owned one Dual G5 2.0GHz.

Some of these machines were known for their motherboard failures, the chipset in those cases has damaged solder joints which can cause all types of problems. With my machine, there was no clear pattern, sometimes it worked couple hours, sometimes it hanged on boot.

The fact that you bought it without ram and hdd, the two easiest components to remove from faulty machine, makes me to think that you simply have another PM G5 with faulty motherboard. And yes, with my machine I could also run ASD couple days straight if I wanted without problems, but when trying to run OS it became problematic.

There has also been cases of damaged CPU's or cases where reseating cpu/cpus has fixed strange behaviour.

5. CameronComputer macrumors newbie

Older 2005 G5 tower issue....Hmmmm

After I boot up.....Well try to boot up I should say, I get this weird Blue screen.
    Does anyone have any idea what the deal is? It's a new one for me. Thanks!

Attached Files:

6. UniqueDesigns macrumors newbie

Have you tried to do the PRAM Zap I've described in my last post.
    What is displaying in those boxes that go across your screen?
    Towers have video cards that are plug-in components that might loosen from their mother board slot.
    Re-seating any cards; video, Ram, & etc. might help.

7. CameronComputer macrumors newbie

Thanks........

I did try the PRAM button and no help....I just got the grey screen w apple but no wheel.....Another time I got the wheel nice and it stopped and the machine got too loud....I then shut it off.....Where are those video card components ??? I could double check them....I can't see what is in the boxes.....looks like mini pages or something....Never saw them before.....ever.....I did open it up and try to clean some dust out thinking the fans were making noise .......I was incorrect.
    As far as the pram button goes.. Do I have it unplug and just hit the reset 1 x?
    I am not really computer literate so......I know a bit but..... Thanks for your help! Cameron
    Couple pixx

Attached Files:

8. CameronComputer macrumors newbie

Another pic of G5

Another Pic. Thanks, Cameron

Attached Files:

9. UniqueDesigns macrumors newbie

How did you go about trying to clean the inside components?
    Did you used Canned Air to blow out the dust or some kind of brush.
    Any time you clean the inside stuff, you must unplug the power from the wall. But, even then you could cause static electric sparks that might damage any component, like the video card.
    Your 1st pict is the hard drives and the 2nd is the component cards, which are plugged into the mother board.
    Those cards and even the RAM cards might have been moved out of line in their mother board socket. Remove the screws you can see in pict #2, gently but firmly push the cards back and forth to make sure they are completely seated in their sockets.
    A magnetic screw driver is helpful to keep the screws from falling into the box. if they get lost inside, they might cause a short circuit and damage something. The magnetic screw drive hold the screw to its tip when you re-screw the cards back in the box.
    Since the computer is at least trying to start up, but getting hung up, it may be just loose cards from your cleaning methods.

10. UniqueDesigns macrumors newbie

It may not be a hardware problem

The next issue may be that your Operating System is hung up on a piece of software code that may have been damaged (for different reasons than the cards inside).
    I personally own Disk Warrior and Techtool Pro software repair applications, that both come on their own bootable DVDs, so you can boot-up your computer from their DVD then use their applications to repair the software on your MacOSX operating system. Running your computer from the DVD is a Very Slow process, but it can work if you are patient enough to let it work out the problems on your software.
    I personally also bought an external hard drive and made it a bootable drive with these applications on that drive. You can then boot-up your computer from the external drive and run these software fixing applications at faster speed.
    Firewire external hard drives are much faster than USB external hard drives.
    If you get these apps, the Disk Warrior will attempt to look for and fix MacOSX operating system issues. It can be/should be run 1st to see if that gets the computer to boot-up on its own.
    But, that is not necessarily the entire fix.
    Techtool Pro has Awesome test apps to check your hardware and All software, not just the MacOSX.
    Many times Mac users don't do anything to fix their software, for years.
    Writing files to your hard disks can eventually cause so many fragmentations of your files that the Mac OS has a problem finding all the pieces of the file and that is when you see the Spinning Daisy (I'm Hung Up) wheel.
    Techtool Pro has a great Defragmentation application that will find all the pieces of every file on you HDDs and combine the pieces back into the complete file in one string of data.

11. UniqueDesigns macrumors newbie

The pict #1 of your box shows 2 HDDs. That suggests to me that someone was keeping a Ton on data on them.
    Any HDD can develop Bad Block on their platter surfaces that might cause the MacOS to hang up when the data written to a bad block is being read.
    Techtool Pro and Disk Worrir both (I think) look for bad blocks and the write a little code to the bad block to tell the computer to never write on them again. Every HDD only uses maybe 90% of their official allotted space when you 1st format them. The extra space is left aside so the bad blocks can be 'blocked out' and replaced by the other previously unused block spaces on the platter.
    You might try holding down the Option Key to see if any other OS are on the 2nd HDD. Take a pict of what you see on the screen when you get to the screen that the Boot-up & Option Key(hold it down until the screen appears) brings you to. Post a pict of that screen, here.

12. michaeld4500 thread starter macrumors newbie

Update

After some troubleshooting(different keyboard, mouse,ram and video card) and trying the old tricks PRAM and SMC resets. I tried loading 10.4 that worked seemed to be working find then applied the 10.4.8 update back the same problem mouse and keyboard not working, reloaded 10.4 but one update at a time the powermac worked fine up to 10.4.2 once I go past this update mouse and keyboard are fronzen.
    It has the latest firmware.
    So reloaded 10.4.2 and that how I use unless anyone can help.:confused: