G5 PowerMac won't turn on...

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Wonton2112, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Wonton2112 macrumors newbie

So last night my G5 was running fine (fan issues from my other thread, but nothing out of the ordinary for it). I had been listening to music, chatting on-line and working on a painting, I usually leave it running over-night, but for whatever reason I decided to shut it down. It didn't have any issues shutting down or anything, so I went off to bed. This morning I got up to turn it on and get back to work, only to find out that pressing the power button didn't do anything...:( I tried unplugging it for a few minutes, plugging it back in, nothing. Tried a different, known good power cable, nothing. Even opened it up and tried re-seating the cable from the logic board to the power button, and still nothing. If anyone has any ideas at all, I'd be entirely grateful.

2. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

3. Wonton2112 thread starter macrumors newbie

I can't tell if it's coming on at all sadly... There's no sound, no LED activity, and no turning on... And yeah, I don't fall into the recall category, my serial starts with a Q... Also, does anyone know what year mine falls under? Everyone lists parts as good for Early 2005 for example... I bought mine second-hand, all I know is it's dual 1.8GHz, and the about my computer thing says V2.

4. gamer2502 macrumors regular

did you check to see if the power cord is plugged into the wall. Also there could have been a power surge if you don't have it plugged into some type of protection or a ups:apple:

5. Earl Urly macrumors regular

make

Type your serial number (or copy and paste it from System Profile) into the space on this page:

http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html

That will tell you the model, where it was made, other specs, etc

It sounds like you have either an original PowerMac G5 or a PowerMac G5 (June 2004) model as those were the only ones that had dual 1.8 CPUs.

6. kjs862 macrumors 65816

kjs862

I have a similar problem. My PM G5 dual 2.0 GHZ won't turn on either.

I had my computer running for 100 days straight and for some reason my mother decided to turn off the computer cause she thought it was going to explode. Because my computer is password protected she just unplugged it from the wall. Now the thing doesn't start no LED light or anything. Any ideas?

7. Netherscurial macrumors newbie

I had a similar problem on my old g5.

I woke up and I noticed it was not on. After much hair pulling and researching the problem I came across a post that tells you to take the battery out. So unplug everything, then open case and take out that little battery from the motherboard. Then while battery is out hit the power button in front of the machine. Then put the battery back in and plug everything back up and try turning on the mac; it worked for me.

8. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

If it doesn't power on at all, click the link in my previous post ;)

9. DWKee macrumors newbie

Removing the battery worked!

I have an early 05 Mac G5. Power Supply, logic board, processors replaced (with Hardware Repair-Level 2) by Apple (even though Apple Care expired). Running great for 90+ days; just turned it off; wouldn't turn on. Didn't think it was the power supply, thus, tried the battery removal idea.
    Anyone know why this works?

10. California macrumors 68040

California

Must have something to do with powermanagement

The G5s and Mac Pros have to cycle a lot of power.

11. goMac macrumors 603

Actually, it may be a dying battery, you might want to have it replaced (the battery).

The batteries typically die after three years. You wouldn't notice if you never shut down and turned the machine back on typically, but the machine won't turn back on if the battery is dead. Even my old Quadra 605 in the nineties did this... I thought the machine was dead, but I put in a new battery and it booted right up.

12. tanksalot macrumors newbie

similar problem, just bought a second hand model for my daughter and the power light flashes but nothing happens

could this be the same problem with the battery?

13. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

Are these air cooled or liquid cooled models?

Liquid cooled ones seem to have a tendency to leak, and that kills them pretty quick. Call Apple, they'll take care of it, even if it's warranty expired.

14. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Does it blink in a series of 3? Then that has to do with incompatible memory. Try removing them and installing them(in pairs) in different configurations and locations in different sockets to see if that fixes it.

15. illusion7ltd macrumors newbie

PowerMac G5 Trouble Help Request - Not booting (starting up) at ALL

Hi Orange,

Hope you have an idea of what i gona say…

I have a Dual 2.0 Ghz PowerMac G5. When I boot. It is simply not booting… because i can neither hear a BONG, where i could reset the PRAM.
    This case is harder for me to solve… As i press the Power Button, i just see the RED LED near the memory slots ON, the fans turning, even those of the Graphic Card's fan >> all this happen in not more than 5 seconds and it TURNS OFF

Do you know what is the solution for this please?
    I already tried cleaning off all the dust, exchanging my RAM slots (i know similar slot of both sides), even try to open the CPU to see if there is something wrong inside, but everything seems good.

I simply do not know why it is not Powering On

Can you please help me?

Thanks in advance

16. cristovao macrumors 6502a

cristovao

SWEET BABY JEBUS, IT WORKED!!!

We had a power outage this week while I was at work and my wife heard a strange squeal, thinking it was the fridge. The next morning when I went to power up my PowerMac G5 2.7 DP, the power indicator was on solid but the machine would not boot. I tried another hammond (power) cable but no dice. I thought the surge protector didn't do it's job with the G5 even though every other device plugged into it was fine.

I thought she was dead. After inquiring with Belkin regarding their equipment protection and calling a local Mac dealer (who said they would not fix it since it was vintage), I was prepared for the worst. Then I found this forum.

Netherscurial, you're tip did the trick! I have a running machine again and am very happy.

I'll have to consider replacing the battery just to be safe though.