G5 problems with starting... is it going to die soon...?!?!?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by geta, Sep 30, 2011.

1. geta macrumors 6502a

well...
    the last couple days its getting very hard to start my G5 (DP 2.7, 6GB, osx 10.4.11), what happen is when i press the button, the fans starting to work, i see the light from the dvd and the start button, but there is no "beep" noise... and this is where it get stuck... so im turning it off and after a minute or so trying again...
    i tried to start from external HD (pressing alt key), tried to press C..... nothing working.
    after trying on n' off for up to 1 hour, its starting... and working normal, no problems what so ever...

so since yesterday i left it on (was afraid it wont start again...) coz i need to finish a project in the studio... but now, i had to reinstall plugin - restart - now its not starting anymore....

is there any way to do something to start it again, or is it dead (cpu, logic board...) ???

tnx for the help

:confused: :confused: :confused:

2. bobotech macrumors newbie

Liquid cooling problem? do you see any liquid or white power residue on the bottom of the inside of the case?

From what I have read,the problems you are describing are a result of the liquid cooling failing causing the machine to overheat very quickly.

The seals on the pump fail because they are rubber.

3. geta thread starter macrumors 6502a

im aware about this problem with the old G5's, but i dont have any liquid or other things inside the case...

when its was on, i was running big logic projects no problem what so ever...
    the only problem i have is to start the mac.... this is what so strange :confused:

4. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

5. geta thread starter macrumors 6502a

can you tell me where to find the PRAM battery and with one i need to get instead (and where can i get it...) ???

6. eljanitor macrumors 6502

eljanitor

Radio Shack, or any place that sells 3.5v button batteries.

7. geta thread starter macrumors 6502a

just to be clear, we a talking about the battery that i see on the logic board, right ?

8. walterwhite macrumors 6502

walterwhite

its not a button battery... see attached photo. But this battery can be acquired at Radio Shack as well... a little pricy at like $15-$20

If this doesn't work it may be the power supply. Those had that issue quite often, and is a real bear to work on, even as an experienced Mac Technician.

If it is the power supply, pull the drives and get a replacement on CL... Mac Pros are like $1000 or a put your drives in an enclosure and use a mac portable... even a borrowed one ;-)

Attached Files:

9. geta thread starter macrumors 6502a

walterwhite tnx for your answer,
    i'll try to get new battery now and hoping it will fix the problem... if not, i wont get new power supply (couple years ago i had to replace it, and it cost around €400...), since my original plans was to keep this machine until the new mac pro's coming (i hope soon....), i will continue with plan B, connect the studio to my MBP, and with this i can run 80% of the hardware in my studio till the new mac pro's coming....

ps - tnx for the tip about HD enclosure, but i have backup HD's, so i can continue the work where i stop, as soon as i'll setup the MBP... ;)

10. geta thread starter macrumors 6502a

new updates -
    tried to find new battery, but no luck... the only shop that was open didn't have what i was looking...

so the last few hours the mac was without battery and without electricity (i toke the cable out before i pop out the battery), and now i decided to check it one more time, but without the battery... well, its back from the deads :) working again, just had to fix the clock... even i finished to install all the plugs, made reset and still running normal...

how bad you think it will be to run it without the battery ???
    and should i keep it always on 24\7, coz im not shore if it will start next time ???

11. kbfr08 macrumors 6502

kbfr08

It should work fine without the battery, and most recent macs will. I've been running a powerbook g4 with a dead battery for years now without any problems.

I would seriously take your mac to the apple store, since this sounds like the coolant is leaking. They've been doing repairs or replacements free of charge for this issue.

12. geta thread starter macrumors 6502a

i toke the mac 2 days ago to an apple shop, coz couple days before the problems started (the first thing that jumped to my head was this liquid story...), but the technician told me i dont have any issue with the cooling liquid and from what he checked he couldn't tell me way its happening... but he think the cpu or the logic board is dying...

13. VanneDC macrumors 6502a

VanneDC

I'd say it wasn't the lcs also if I was a mac genius, as if it's the lcs they are responsible for providing a fix... Sometimes replaced with a spanking Mac pro...

14. geta thread starter macrumors 6502a

can you explain me what is 'lcs' ?
    coz if thats the problem i've got, you think they deny responsibility, so they dont need to provide a solution or replacement....?

15. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

LCS = Liquid Cooling System. Try to google liquid cooling issues for powermacs, and you will find something interesting.

16. geta thread starter macrumors 6502a

update 2 -

again the mac not starting... still dont have new battery (yesterday it start without it, and worked normal...), will try to find\order new one tomorrow...

i was checking the cooling system today as well, after i was reading about 'LCS'... and it don't look like there is some kind of leaking...

for now i toke the electricity cable out, will let it sit like that for couple hours (like yesterday,after i toke the battery out...), and maybe when i'll connect it again, it will start... :confused:

17. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

I think your PSU is starting to fail... just a guess.

18. geta thread starter macrumors 6502a

well... it don't look like its the CPU\liquid problem... so i hope when i'll put new battery it will work... if not the only thing that stays its the PSU... and if this is the case, it cost to much (couple years ago it cost me around €400...) :(
    so i rather to save the money and use it for the new mac pro's whenever they'll come out....

19. geta thread starter macrumors 6502a

well...
    at this point its not starting anymore... when im trying to start it, i hear the fans running, see lights from the dvd and pci cards, but no more light next to the starting button....

really hope when i'll get new battery it will work again... if not, whatever the problems are, to fix\replace will cost a lot...
    not shore if its gona be profitable... but it will be nice to have it working around, to run old Logic projects...