G5 quad drive bay locations

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by jbarley, Feb 11, 2014.

1. jbarley macrumors 68040

jbarley

Something I've just noticed, not a problem but more of a curiosity.
    On my G5 quad, I have an SSD in the lower drive bay which shows in 'Disk Utility' as being in the upper drive bay,
    Same goes for my data drive, it is in the upper bay but shows in 'Disk Utility' as being in the lower bay.

Am I alone with this anomaly, or are there others experiencing the same results? :confused:

2. bax2003 macrumors 6502a

bax2003

Only logical explenation is that SATA cables are switched on the logic board.

3. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

On the Logic Board, just below the drive bays will be the two SATA cable leads. You can try to switch them. However, be very gentle with the cables and the ports they are connected to.

There is going to be no difference at all aside from the misreading of what bay they are in. You don't have to worry if you don't switch the cables around, there is no consequences.

4. jbarley thread starter macrumors 68040

jbarley

My G5 was a refurb, still I'm surprised these connections passed inspection.
    After looking at the motherboard connections and how tight with very little slack there is, I've decided to leave well enough alone, after all things have ran well these past several years before I noticed this discrepancy.
    Thanks for the replies fellas, consider my question answered.

5. tampasteve macrumors 6502

Refurb is a REALLY variable and fluid definition to pin down. I have purchased refub computers that look brand new....and other that look like they fell off of a truck. To some "refurb" simply means that they reinstalled the OS...to others it means they did an overhaul of the cosmetic looks, or at least cleaned it really well, as well as minor repairs and defaulting.

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Even if the refurb part was up to Apple's standards, that could easily be overlooked. It has no performance difference at all and isn't exactly obvious.