G5 Quad LCS: 1 pump or 2?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by OrangeSVTguy, Jul 19, 2010.

1. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Was looking around and found a G5 Quad that has 2 pumps on it compared to the 1 that's on mine. Anyone know if the 2 pump model is the later rev or is it the 1st rev? Would they swap around with one another?

Attached Files:

2. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

3. OrangeSVTguy thread starter macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Thanks for that thread. The Feser One Cooling liquid looks very tempting, non-corrosive and non-conducting. Found a 1L bottle on ebay for a good price. Gonna swap that out. Thinking I will need to figure out the pinout for the LCS pump so I can bench test it for leaks first before I reinstall the CPUs.

4. OrangeSVTguy thread starter macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Was gonna come back here and post that. It's also on the 3rd page... I haven't gotten to the 10th page yet :p lol Thanks.

5. VanneDC macrumors 6502a

VanneDC

Ive just taken delivery of my Quad G5. boots up fine, no dramas and is whisper quiet. After reading some of the post though on LCS, i decided before doing much else than to make sure it boots is to remove the CPU cover and have a good look and a poke around....

Turns out BLOODY lucky i did......

Damm bolts lying around inside (one on the psu cover on the bottom and the other about to go down the back right side of the case into the PSU compartment....

At this stage iam not too overly certain where there from, one looks like a mobo standoff from a normal pc and the other is a bolt from the LCS system.. (but havent figured where it belongs yet)

This is a box that hasnt been used much at all, btw, its a dual Delphi pump system, but there is no evidence of leakage on the pipes, clamps or any thing. There is however, on the paper (thats below the pumps) kinda like a catchment paper for spillage i guess without having a better term for it.

The paper looks ruffeled up, but once again, its dry as a cork and there are no discolouration or wetness on it at all. But it is ruffeled up like its maybe been wet a long time ago....????

the rest of the box is flawless...

There is also a Cooligy sticker on the 12vdc 20w circuit board cover and it realy all does look like top nick.

Also for the brief moment i had it running, it was super quiet, no chugging or any funny noises at all, just a whisper quiet humm.

is there any reason to be concerned? what should i do?

iam about to take it and blow some compressed air through the box to de-dustify the unit, then going to replace the crappy N6600 with an Ati x1900GT.

so should i be worried? ive taken some pics, recon i should post em up?

cheers

6. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

Read thread I linked above. There are described symptoms which are indicating LCS malfunctions. If you don't have any of those, you shouldn't worry.
    If there is no discoloration on "spillage catcher", then tere was no leak in this place. Coolant is corrosive and always leaves stain or other marks.

7. VanneDC macrumors 6502a

VanneDC

Thanks Sheepy :)

just out of curiosity.... I just pulled the Nvidia 6600 and installed the Ati X1900xt (i actually think its a GT, but system profiler calls it an XT??) and noticed the cpu temps went up by about 5 degs overall.

Is this due to the fact the 1900XT doesnt blow its hot air outside the case and the N6600 was passivly cooled.

i took a couple of reading before and after..

Before:
    CPU A core1 32
    CPU A core2 29
    CPU B core1 34
    CPU B core2 32

After:
    CPU A core1 39
    CPU A core2 36
    CPU B core1 40
    CPU B core2 39

Trippy... also, i can hear that damm Ati fan running now too....

:apple: