G5 quad LCS maintenance

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by jbarley, Jul 25, 2012.

1. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

I've seen several references on this forum to "regular maintenance" of a G5 LCS.
    Having just ordered a 2.5 quad G5 I'd like to try and stay on top of things to hopefully keep things working smoothly.
    What exactly would be considered routine maintenance for a healthy LCS?

2. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

I encourage you to read the multitude of info that already exists here in the PowerPC section covering this very topic.

3. PowerPCMacMan macrumors 6502a

PowerPCMacMan

What Zen just said does not seem encouraging. Think of the lcs as your car's radiator and hoses. You see where this is going? Maintaining the lcs in the quad g5 is almost like maintenance of your vehicle's water hoses and radiator.

4. jbarley thread starter macrumors 68030

jbarley

Several searches of this forum is how I found the references to "regular maintenance", but I could not locate any suggestions as to what constituted said maintenance, which in turn led me to post my question.
    Oh yes, and lest I forget, "thank you".

----------

Thank you for your suggestions, this is the kind of info I was looking for.

5. PowerPCMacMan macrumors 6502a

PowerPCMacMan

6. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

The Quad is not a good computer to own if you're at a newbie level of understanding with hardware as you are. You've chosen a high maintenance system and you have no idea how to maintain it. This is why research before buying is good.

It seems that a car analogy has helped you understand a basic part of it. I guess I just assumed that you knew that something called a "liquid cooling system" would have tubes with liquid in them.

You have honestly bought one of the most problem prone computers that Apple ever made. Best of luck!

7. jbarley thread starter macrumors 68030

jbarley

My simple question as to what is considered routine maintenance of a G5 LCS led you to all this gifted insight.
    In this one single post, which you couldn't resist, you have proven to me and many others just how absolutely wrong you are capable of being.
    And while I'll admit to being 75 years old, those years, at least 40 of them were spent in a trade (industrial instrumentation) installing and maintaining industrial automation. This automation progressed over the years from purely analog to completely digital.
    Put this together with the fact that my main hobby has been home computers ever since Radio Shack introduced the first TRS model 1, I would have to say that I do not think of myself as a complete computer noobie.
    But above all, over all those years, one thing I learned early on and still holds true today is "if you are unsure of something, ask", which is what I did here, and not counting your two totally useless replies, I still managed to get the information I was seeking.
    BTW, you'll not be seeing any more "thanks" from me.
    Now how about you crawling back under your rock, and waiting there to ambush the next unsuspecting poster.

8. jezzy macrumors member

Well said..

Now, lets be serious. I too jumped into the PPC world not too long ago by purchasing a "unknown condition" G5 2.5 DP for 40$, seller didn't know if it worked or not. I knew it was a LCS system and upon inspection, yes the LCS system was leaking.

How can you tell? Behind the G5 logo that covers the LCS system, you'll notice a "mat" below the LCS system, this is used to (I assume) catch any LCS leakage, and allows you to check it once in a while see if this "mat" is wet.

Once it's wet, then another fun is about to begin.

Leakage (from what I've seen so far) is caused by the o-rings that seal the LCS to the top of each CPU. I removed the hoses and o-rings, and it was a nasty job (hoses). If I were to do i again, I think you can simply remove the heatsink screws (without removing the hoses) and swapping out the o-rings.

Anycase, first thing you do is verify if that mat is wet, if not NO worries. Check it every other month or or so!

9. VanneDC macrumors 6502a

VanneDC

lol, ofcourse there is the other side of it if the "mat" is not wet and the LCS has been empty for yonks. :)

at any rate, i actually love the Quad G5, it combines 2 of my favourite things, cars/computers. What more can a bloke ask for?

The Q5 i had was a magnificent beast of a machine, and to this day, i regret selling it. Never had any issues with the LCS either by the way.

Congrats :D