G5 Quad no cimes

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Lammer, Apr 12, 2015.

1. Lammer, Apr 12, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2015

Lammer macrumors newbie

Hi there
    I am struggling with a G5 2.5 quad thats not chiming.
    It was an ebay special that was advertised as "Not Working".
    However the seller had fitted the incorrect ram and in the wrong slots.
    So after fitting the correct ram it chimed and went to the screen with the question mark as there was no hard drive fitted.
    The machine booted this far every time I tried it over the next week or so
    However there was a real loud wirring sound coming from the inside.
    I thought this was the fans but it was not it was one of the delphi pumps sounded like it was running dry?
    To cut to the chase I removed the LCS and striped it fitted a new pump and refilled it with a red no conductive coolant its not easy to repressurise and my shed now looks like a murder scene ( Which it could well be as this mac is now dead)
    After spending quite a while rebuilding the LCS refitting the CPUs and reinstalling tried to power up.
    The power comes on but no chime fans run slowly didn't leave it on for very long as there is an obvious prolem.
    There are LEDs lit on the logic board "OverTemp" "Trickle" "PWROn" and another one.
    One is yellow and the others are red I'm assuming there is a CPU?Cooling issue?
    I used thermal pads instead of paste and I can hear the new pump running it is quiet and there is fluid rushing sound so I assume that is doing what its meant to? Idid buy the same delphi pump type as original but ive read that they differ standard to Apple ones as apple modified them? I am pretty certain I havn't mishandled the CPUs and I marked them to make certain I replaced them the same way they came out. I can only assume either the thermal pads are not working or that the new pump is somehow incompatable.
    So is it dead or have I done something really stupid that I've overlooked
    What doublely annoying is as this was meant to be a straight forward replace pump and done I ordered some more ram added to the cost of a pump and pipe work and coolant its quite an expensive Hackingtosh case not what I wanted
    So would like to get this working again?
    Any help is much appreciated

2. Lammer thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok Update.
    Decided to strip down and sort this out. Once and for all
    Refitted the new pump I purchased
    Decided to dump the thermal pads and use thermal paste.
    Reassembled and now fully working.
    The problem was caused by the thermal pads basically being nowhere near as good as paste:apple:

3. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

Patience of a saint :D

Might be an idea to calibrate the fans from the ASD utility if you haven't done so already.

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Glad you got it running! Definitely calibrate the cooling system as mentioned by Dronecatcher to keep it in the right temperature range!

5. Lammer thread starter macrumors newbie

Guessing I need a service disk for this?
    where do I get the required disk for my machine?

quite pleased as I always wanted a G5 Quad back in the day but didn't have the money. This one cost me £26 off ebay the coolant, pump, silicon pipes and the extra ram cost more than that so all in cost me about £60
    Even better a mate of mine upgraded to an intel mac a while ago and gave me a disc wallet full of music software so should be fun playing with this?

6. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

Here is a Link to the right file.

7. Lammer thread starter macrumors newbie

Thankyou downloading now