G5 Quad Playing 1080P Youtube in Flash 2016

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Dronecatcher, Aug 25, 2016.

1. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

I've just done a rough and ready unedited video to show a Quad can play Youtube at 1080P using Flash as a response to the 8BitGuy video...as Youtubers won't believe anything unless it is actually on Youtube :)

Note the distinct lack of jet engine fan noise!

2. bobesch macrumors 6502a

bobesch

OT: Your shiny acrylic 20"-Cinema-Display does look brilliant (on 380p)!
    I made long distances to find one some time ago ...
    Unfortunately it suffers from some kind of colour bleeding at the edges.
    This kind of acrylic display had been start of having pleasure from old macs, when I discovered it on this page: http://www.eichlermidcentury.com/e_house/11_blb_desk.html

3. Dronecatcher thread starter macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

Wow - that's a fantastic house! I think mine's the same model in there, the 23."
    Mine suffers slightly from the colour fringing too but not enough to hardly notice. The screen is still super bright and is usually on at 40% brightness and the best bit...it didn't cost me anything :)

4. bobesch macrumors 6502a

bobesch

Yes, the style of those Eichler-Houses do look great (expecially 'cause everything on those pictures on the web is so tidy...)
    Unfortunately those kind of houses are only practical, if you live in a region like California - at my place they would be completeley at the wrong place due to rain and heavy weather)
    My acrylic display still sits in the shelves along with some other nice stuff. Thought about using it as an additional monitor for my PowerBook, but there's this DVI-ADV-adapter with it's bunch of cables making things a bit bulky.
    BTW - 380p videos also do look better on a small screen ... ;)

5. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Thanks for posting this.

As I said, I did 720p on Youtube with no stuttering or lag and 25% per core, but didn't go out searching for anything in 1080p.

6. Imixmuan macrumors 6502

Despite the relative lack of content, Squeezing the Apple is now my favourite Youtube channel.

Well, after the True Geordie of course.

7. Dronecatcher thread starter macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

I only set it up for the odd proof of concept type thing - I don't have the setup or inclination to do a proper "entertaining" channel...I wish someone would though to show off all that PPC can still do.

8. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Yea he didn't like that quad much did he..

9. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I posted a video also, to which he has not responded. Apparently he's upset at all the "hate mail" he has received telling him something was wrong with the computer.

10. AmazingHenry macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

My Dual 2.0GHz will play 720p just fine with WebKit. I guess he really doesn't like Flash, and is afraid to admit that it's better than HTML5. :D