G5 Quad superdrive replacement question

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by RedCroissant, Mar 22, 2015.

1. RedCroissant Suspended

I've been checking and looking for a superdrive replacement for my G5 Quad and was hoping that the PPC community would be able to help me.

Which G5 superdrive replacement would be the best if I wasn't able to find either a Quad or either of the Dual Core G5s to use that superdrive?

Thanks in advance for any help with this!

2. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I've had little issue with using pretty much any generic IDE/ATAPI DVD writer in any NWR PPC Mac. You'll occasionally need to modify the front a bit to make them fit and work with the case doors correctly, but this isn't a huge deal. At most, on a G5, you might need to remove the drive door, but this is usually just a matter of opening the tray and popping it off.

3. RedCroissant thread starter Suspended

Thank you very much for this. I was just hoping to keep it as original as possible for the most part but that is good news and now I just need to find one that I would like.

4. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

When I just used an old Dell Disk drive, I took off the front thing on the tray to make it look like the old one. The drive works fine even though it's not an Apple Shipped drive, if it was, it would be a SuperDrive.

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

OS X will work fine with any DVD drive you install. It will identify as its proper brand and model rather than a "SuperDrive" yet the function is the same. On most PowerMacs, I have had to either replace the SuperDrive or rebuild it from scratch with parts out of another drive due to the high failure rates.