G5 Server speed

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by videoterrorist, Aug 2, 2007.

1. videoterrorist macrumors newbie

Hi,

We currently have 2 G5's in my office, one 1.6Ghz Power Mac and one Dual 2Ghz Power Mac (both running 10.4.10). The Dual 2Ghz is currently set up as a server for 4 machines. However the machine's speed could be put to better use as a design machine. Does the speed of the machine have any bearing on how fast it would run as a server? Therefore would we ok/better/worse to use the 1.6 as the server and the Dual 2.0 as a work machine?

Thanks in advance :)

2. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Depends on what the Server has to do.

If it is used as a DNS, DHCP, OD Master not much CPU speed is used at all.
    If it is used as a FileServer (AFP, SMB), then it depends on how much connections and how many files are shared over the network.

If this Server is used as an "all-in-one" Server (DNS, DHCP, OD Master, AFP...) for those 4 machines, it surely is a good decision to use the Power Mac G5 Single 1.6 for that purpose, and use the Dual 2.0 as the design machine.

Log into your current G5 Dual 2.0 GHz Server machine and see how much (or little) CPU is actually used (either via "top" in Terminal.app or "Activity Monitor"). You'll probably find out that >80 % of CPU time is idle.
    If so, get the Single 1.6 setup as the server and let the Dual G5 do some serious design work!
    :)

3. videoterrorist thread starter macrumors newbie

The server is simply a file server, for about 50GB so should we do some switching & get designing ? :)

4. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

A FileServer for the 4 clients, I assume.

Yes, then I would do some switching and use the horsepower of the Duallie for designing! :apple: