G5 Sound Card Dying - What can I replace it with?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ttreit, Feb 18, 2009.

1. ttreit macrumors newbie

Hi everyone

I have a G5 that I bought several years ago for video editing. It's been a great machine but my sound card is dying (I think). It has a sound card built into the Motherboard.

My first question is: Have I overlooked something in troubleshooting the problem? Here's what I've done:

The sound has been scratchy/static-y for several months but it was pretty subtle and intermittent until yesterday. Now it's acting more like a bad cell phone connection with pops, hisses, and dropping sounds.

1. My first step was to check all the wiring. Everything seems fine there.
    2. Next step was to plug headphones into the front jack - same problem occurs in the headphones as in the speakers.
    3. Conclusion - it's the sound card.

My next question is: Assuming the sound card is dying what's a good replacement? I'm in grad school so $$ is an issue. I'd like to spend less than $100 but could maybe go to $150 with a good enough excuse...err...reason. I've tried searching for G5 sound cards but I am finding more sound solutions for musicians than a "regular" sound card.

Thanks in advance.

2. Trip.Tucker Guest

Griffin iMic - very affordable, USB device, mic or line in (switchable) and stereo out.

3. ttreit thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the fast reply that might just do the trick and have other uses when I replace the G5 down the road.

Woohoo!