G5 spits out Leopard install disk on installation

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by hpygolkyone, Jan 7, 2012.

1. hpygolkyone macrumors newbie

I have a 1.8 Power PC G5 (non intel) with OS X 10.4.11 installed. I just added ram to jack it up to 2 GB.

Got my sisters family pack installation disk ( the family has only used 2 out of the 5 installs) for Leopard in the mail and wanted to upgrade to give to my kids since I have a new iMac i5.

Disk keeps ejecting upon install. I get the disk install icon and when I double click it displays the "restart" (so far, so good right?) and when I restart, the disk spits out upon startup, without displaying the installer guide. I have held down the "c" button during restart.....verified the disk....verified the HD permissions......gone to Preferences to use the install disk as my start up disk. Tiger works just fine on this mac, but I would like to upgrade the OS along with the ram to get as much performance out of this unit as possible.

I am having this ejection issue and am turning to anyone for help to get this installed without having to write 6000 lines of code?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Try holding down Option at boot and selecting the Leopard disc. I've found the C at startup to be a bit unreliable on PPC Macs.

3. hpygolkyone thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I got the Installer page......but now when it asks for the destination, NOTHING to select from?! No HD.....nothing!

This is nuts! Re-boot....try again?

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

If you're willing to erase the drive you could try that. To erase it use Disk Utility from the Utilities menu at the top of the screen.

5. hpygolkyone thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your help. This is a case of the computer that didn't want to be watched while it tried to figure out what it wanted to do! I was working on my other desktop and left the G5 alone for an hour. I noticed out of the corner of my eye that the HD icon was up and the new disk was ready for installation. Divine intervention? Who knows?! Leopard is installed! Thanks again!