G5 startup disk issues

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rzaroch36, Jan 4, 2008.

1. rzaroch36 macrumors newbie

In my quest to fix my messed up mac ( started here:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=403016 )

I have found that my computer startup disk is messed up-there is always a question mark on the startup disk when i check it on system preferences and I can only start my computer in safe mode, boot mode, and every other mode but it won't just start up regularly.

I ran Onyx and it said that my startup disk needed to be repaired so I checked it/repaired it with disk utility and everything was fine.

I then booted from my install disk and again there was a question mark on the startup disk-i repair it there and iot says everything is ok.

Also, when i boot in safe mode the system profiler does not find my core audio (built in audio) or my airport.

and help/advice?

I tried applejack as well and it got stuck on "repair permissions" for a few hours before i stopped it.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It sounds like you might need to replace the drive.

3. rzaroch36 thread starter macrumors newbie

how would i go about this?

what would make it fail?

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Drives just fail over time. They're quite easy to replace but contact an authorised service centre if you're worried about your warranty or wrecking your Mac.

5. rzaroch36 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay.

Been out of warranty bout a year now-its a second gen g5 without isight powerpc.

So i'm looking into replacing my hard drive? can I use an external?

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

You can boot from an external Firewire drive if you like. If you need to buy a drive, it'll be cheaper to buy an internal drive than an external which is effectively an internal with a case and cable.

7. rzaroch36 thread starter macrumors newbie

I already have a 250g external usb 2.0 drive, could that work?

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

You could take the drive out of its enclosure and put it in the Power Mac quite easily. However, older PowerPC Macs such as yours will not allow you to boot from USB. It's gotta be Firewire.

9. rzaroch36 thread starter macrumors newbie

it's a g5 imac.

10. rzaroch36 thread starter macrumors newbie

nevermind, googled and found out about replacing the drive.

So a bad drive could be the problem of my comp not recognizing the startup disk and the comp not being able to read my core audio and airport(both of which obviously are built into an imac)?

11. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Oops, sorry. It still can't boot from the external, but replacing the internal drive is now a little more complicated. I really don't think you'll pay much for labour if you take it to a service centre. I really still think the drive (which runs the OS, remember) is the root of the problem. Hopefully it's the only problem.

12. rzaroch36 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks a lot for the help.

From what I've been reading it really isn't that difficult to replace the hard drive on a g5 imac.

I will look into that and hopefully get my mac up and running.

cheers.

13. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

No worries mate. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but hopefully you'll be good to go in no time. :)

14. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

Intel iMacs are just a pain in the ass to open. I was planning on an HD upgrade if it's worth it (maybe get a new imac then) in 4 years. But I'm scared of opening the case! G5's are just so easy and user-upgradeable!