G5 storage drives(non-boot)

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by minxie59, Jun 28, 2016.

1. minxie59 macrumors newbie

minxie59

i am looking at putting a WD red 3TB into my G5 2.7, OSX 10.5.8, as a non-boot/storage only 2nd drive. any pros/conz? how about jumper requirements? would appreciate any advice, it seems WD is shtum on the subject.

2. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

I believe the jumper you need is the third over from the left, I had a 500GB WD Black and I had to jumper it to work. Outside of that it works great!

3. for this macrumors regular

For a WD's SATA III drive, putting a jumper on pin 5-6 will limit it to 300 MB/s but I've not tried it in a PPC to see if it could solve compatibility issue in some SATA III drives yet. BTW, normally, you don't need to put any jumper.

Jumper settings with diagrams: http://support.wdc.com/KnowledgeBase/answer.aspx?ID=981

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I would suggest a WD Green as the WD Red series is actually for servers. Which is fine in a G5 as they are sold for longetivity and dependibility, but WD Greens consume less energy (I know, it's a G5) and produce less heat. They aren't as fast as other WD series drives, but it's a storage drive.

The only downside is that WD Greens seem to prevent system sleep (as I have discovered).

5. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Yeah, WD Red is designed for servers and NAS appliances that run disks in RAID. It limits the error recovery control which is beneficial for RAID. It's not recommended for single drive use. See here : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Error_recovery_control.

For standard desktop use the Blue or Black if you want a WD. Greens are fine for secondary storage where performance is less critical.

6. Hack5190 macrumors 6502a

Hack5190

Based on specs the Seagate "Surveillance" line look like a good choice. They are designed to be spun 24x7 with constant read & writes at fair prices.

Amazon sells the 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6-Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch for $73

7. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

I wouldn't. Drives like the Seagate Surveillance and WD Purple are optimised for a 24x7 power on and constant high level of write operations.

8. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

LOL!!!!

Leave it to Hack to bring up a line of hard drives named "Surveillance"! :D :D

9. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I'd second a WD Green for the specified use. They're slow, but are also quiet and cool.

Greens are more or less purpose made big storage drives. If you crack open a couple of externals, you'll likely find a WD green in more than one of them. I have a 1TB green in one of my G5s now that was salvaged from a dead enclosure.

10. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

I know nothing of the Surveillance line but based on past experience with badly designed Seagate enclosures, I'll avoid Seagate.

11. abundantmussel macrumors member

abundantmussel

I'd avoid Seagate also. Western digital line are my go to drives. Go blue or black for os, or velicoraptor but they are a bit noisier. Green for system storage in a local machine or red for a raid array

12. Hack5190 macrumors 6502a

Hack5190

Wouldn't those factors be good?

13. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Which part of "I wouldn't" didn't you understand? ;)

Those factors are excellent for a PVR box or a CCTV monitoring system that prioritises constant writes. Not for general storage.

14. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

In the real world, most of the hard drives are going to perform comparably on the SATA I bus. That being said, the Green line is great for storage but lacks the full performance of the other lines.