G5 to Laptop Sync

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Soura2112, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Soura2112 macrumors 6502

I have my G5 up and running again (odd story). As you can imagine I dont want to burn all my CD's and pictures to my G5 (I have a lot of songs and a lot to go through, want to save time), plus Ipod and Iphone. I would like them to be have the same basic information. Such as right now I cant put my Iphone on my G5, no Apps on my G5 all on my laptop. Is there a simple way to have the basics all going from laptop to G5? I connect the computers wireless and use External Hard Drives but there is a lot of songs stuff, such as songs I am not sure is on each computer, would like to find a easy way. Plus I buy cd's so no Itunes Mp3 problems. Also if I have to do everything myself I want to at least keep them the same from now on in, so if I have to do it that way I do.
    I know everything can't be sent over but I would like to find the easiest way to do this.
    Thanks

2. blodwyn macrumors 65816

Sounds like you need to set up a bi-directional sync between some of the folders on your 2 systems. This will merge the contents of the folders you select so you will have the same content on each system. I recommend Chronosync as the best sync program I've found.

If you're using iTunes for your music, then I'd be wary of using this type of sync for your iTunes library, as I'm not sure how iTunes would deal with having its library changed by a sync program. I've never tried to merge 2 iTunes libraries so I'm not sure if there's a slick way of doing it, maybe someone else can chip in here??