G5 to Mac Pro 2010?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Soura2112, Dec 25, 2010.

1. Soura2112 macrumors 6502

Today I got a Mac Pro to replace my 2005 G5, of course I can't clone the drive, nor do I want to because I want a Fresh start.
    Except, I want all my documents, Iphoto, movies and Itunes. I have a lot of music, pictures, and a good amount of video I created.
    Could I take out the 2 G5 drive and put them in my the Mac Pro and simply drop and drag my docs, pics, movies and music?
    My G5 was my first Apple, then everything went intel, so first time going down this road.
    I have 3 External drives, though I need to get a Firewire 400 to 800 converter wire, so I could move everything that way, most time consuming I am sure, well except CD's/DVD's etc, or going way back to floppy.

Thanks for any info.

2. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Migration Assistant is your best friend. I would suggest taking the HD out of the G5 and putting it into your Mac Pro before you even boot it up. Start up the Mac Pro and use Migration Assistant to move everything for you. Its amazing what it can do.

3. Soura2112 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks

Thanks for the tip. I never used migration assistant on any of the macs in my house. Again I just want certain things, like music to be copied. Cause through the years and especially the first one with my G5 I collected lots of junk I no longer want anymore.
    Thanks again for your advice.