G5 to Mac Pro - What is the real damage?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ziwi, Jul 4, 2007.

1. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi

I am thinking of getting some value for my G5 and moving up to a Pro. The question I have is around some of the software - mainly FCE HD 3.0 and Photoshop CS2. Do I have to upgrade those apps or will they run on t he Pro as is? Upgrading the apps so they will run increases the cost to get in so I just want to know.

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Well you'll want to upgrade the apps, because photoshop is not Universal, so you would not be getting all the performance that you can get out of the Pro.

3. janey macrumors 603

janey

They will run as-is, but I'm fairly sure neither are universal.

You would probably notice a performance increase by upgrading to FCE HD 3.5 and Photoshop CS3.

4. Keebler macrumors 68030

can you keep it?

Hi Kiwi,

The others are right...check for a universal upgrade for FCE. there was a cheaper upgrade, but it may be over.

But, as my title suggests...can you keep the G5? do you run a business or is this for hobby?

the only reason why i bring this up is because i was in the same boat about 2 months ago. i offer a video transfer business so i decided to keep both and man oh man, it's so worth it. having both machines running completely increased my efficiency and turnaround time.

just some thoughts for you.

cheers,
    Keebler