G5 tower no Boot

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mcornelius77, Oct 28, 2009.

1. mcornelius77 macrumors newbie

So I received this G5 from a relative who knows I like to tinker with PCs.
    Since it's a Mac, I'm pretty lost. I'd like to learn though, and I figure this just may be the place to do it. :D

System Spec tag inside cover says:
    PMG5/DP2.7/PCI-X/1GB/250GB/SUPER/R9650/56K/BTAP/KEY/FCE HD

Issue is that the system won't boot.
    *Most* of the time I hear the chime after I press the power button.
    The HDD is new... and blank.
    The memory tests good in another system.
    Unsure what speed the video card is ( Is some type of AGP - 4x/8x??
    Guessing that's the "/R9650" for a Radeon graphics card? It's got 2 DVI ports on the graphics card, and I have an adapter to change that to analog VGA)

When I lay it on its side, keeping the clear plastic piece installed inside the case, and press the power button, I hear the chime. I keep looking inside the case and see a solid red led on the motherboard. From the side I can't see it directly, like it's underneath the liquid cooling radiator towards the front of the case. I'm guessing that has to do with one of the CPUs?
    After a couple minutes, the internal fans kick on full speed and do not stop until I power the system off.

Thanks in Adv. for any help !

2. maccompaq macrumors 65816

maccompaq

From your post, I am thinking that you have not attached a monitor to the computer. If you had a monitor connected, you would most likely see a flashing question mark indicating no OS installed. You said that the hard drive is new, so that would probably indicate no OS (operating system).

3. mcornelius77 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello and thank you for the reply...

I do have a monitor connected, and I purchased an OEM Apple converter cable to make the DVI ports in the video card change to an analog 15 pin VGA female port. I'm working on finding a donor machine around here to test the video card in so that I know the video card is good. If I know the video card is good then I think the next logical choice would be the logic board. :(

In that case... would anyone know where to find a logic board for one of these? I guess I haven't found much on ebay but searching earlier I did not use the term "PowerMac". I'll try again... :D

4. mcornelius77 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the links... the first link I found a while ago but the LEDs that are illustrated there are not illuminated when the power is on. Facing the logic board as the illustration shows, the LED that I see lit is further to the right... a few inches past the DIMM slots.

I think the 2nd link was the most helpful. I'll try checking the voltage on the power supply... if I can figure out how to get it open. :D