G5 Towers Modded into Furniture

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by vlark, Oct 26, 2014.

1. vlark macrumors member

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

While I find this cool, I could never justify taking a working machine down to the level of being simple furniture. Now if an expensive part blows I could understand it.

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You may not want to go to back room B or the front server room where I work. We use old G5's as stools to sit on. Some in the server room are still in use, but we sit on them anyways.

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Eh. To each their own. Are they good G5s (2.3 GHz, Quads, etc.) or low end measly ones like the 1.6?

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Two in the server room are quads, still in use as servers/stools. The back room, that gets used as a break room with a conference table in it but no chairs, has a large assortment. Most have been in there for years and did work when being put in there. Those ones don't have any hard drives and are all air cooled models. They've been kicked over, dropped a few inches, had extremely heavy people sit on them, had stuff spilled on them, stacked incorrectly, nearly everything a typical folding office chair could have done to it has been done to those G5's. With the exclusion of being stolen. They've been in there so long, they aren't even on the inventory charts anymore. They're last listing has them as being a write off way back in 2009.

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Are any the beloved 2.3 GHz air cooled models?

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I really don't know. I am completely unfamiliar with the ones in the back room other than they have no hard drives. For all I know they could all be 2.3Ghz dual core models with 16GB of memory and ATI X1600 cards. I do know that at least two of the 14(?) of them are late-2005 models.

8. n0cus macrumors 6502

I am right there with you, Altemose. It breaks my heart to see old tech being used like this.

9. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Sounds like I would be as excited as a little kid on a playground if I got to mess with those machines.

10. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You'd have fun where I work period. Let alone with the stool machines in the break room.

11. PowerMac G4 MDD macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

Well, that's a shame :(

12. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

It definitely sounds like you have a fun job!

13. CYB3RBYTE macrumors regular

CYB3RBYTE

Intell should do a "Take the MacRumors PPC Forums to work day"!

14. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

If you can find my place of work and get yourself here, I'd be happy to show you around.