Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Originally posted by MacBandit
Yeah, I understand the known issues. I'm not sure what they're plans were to work around it I'm just relaying what I remember about the press release. I don't think they would have made the statement if they didn't have some sort of work around.
If you remember the prototype picture of the IBM blade, they were using the Xilinx FPGA to synthesize the E-Bus. As Apple most likely did as they were playing with the PPC970 prototypes.

Sort of a cheap/slow solution to creating a custom chip, and useful for low production numbers -- which upgrade cards generally are.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by Sun Baked
If you remember the prototype picture of the IBM blade, they were using the Xilinx FPGA to synthesize the E-Bus. As Apple most likely did as they were playing with the PPC970 prototypes.

Sort of a cheap/slow solution to creating a custom chip, and useful for low production numbers -- which upgrade cards generally are.

Hmm, no I don't recall ever seeing that information. If you have a link I'd love to take a look.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.