G5 usb pcie card upgrade..molex power?!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Davy.Shalom, Aug 8, 2010.

1. Davy.Shalom macrumors 6502

Davy.Shalom

How am I supposed to power this 4 port Sonnet USB card if the PowerMac G5 does not supply any molex power connectors?

2. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

It has molex connector for optical drive. You can use molex splitter(s).

3. Davy.Shalom thread starter macrumors 6502

Davy.Shalom

That's going to be one long ass splitter...
    :(

4. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

There's another way: use SATA Y cable + SATA to molex adapter and power the card from SATA power connector (HDD). If you got only one HDD, SATA->molex adapter will be enough.

5. Davy.Shalom thread starter macrumors 6502

Davy.Shalom

=/

I have both hard drive bays full. I guess I'll have to use the Y option. It's a pain that apple does this. They give you four pcie slots, but none of them have molex power so you can put something useful in there. What other options does this leave? I mean, most USB 2.0 or firewire boards that are for mac need molex power. It's really stupid they could have even had the wires waiting there unused like with the hard drive bay.

6. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

I think that it's not exactly like you wrote. Additional power for card is required (or not) depending on what devices you want to use with card. All devices with their own power supply (scanners, printers etc) will work without molex. If you want to use bus powered devices (a lot of), card might need this molex. It must have something to do with overall PCIe power draw, which is limited to about 300W for all (four in your case) PCIe slots.

7. Davy.Shalom thread starter macrumors 6502

Davy.Shalom

I use many bus powered devices. Well, I suppose a USB hub would work for now.

8. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

I don't think or never heard of them but you could possibly search for some type of Y splitter that can hook up to the 6pin power connector for the graphics card. You can pull your power from there?

I know people that used a splitter to run more than one graphics card but maybe there's also some type of Y cable out there that goes to the 4 pin molex connector?

9. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

^I'm not sure, but isn't molex +5V (red) line important? PCIe power socket has +12V and GND only - it lacks of +5V. I've never heard of PCIe->molex adapter, only molex->PCIe. But it's possible to make "home made" one. +5V is possible to get from +12V by soldering proper resistor to this "custom" adapter.