Resolved G5 Video Card in PC?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by NOTNlCE, Oct 30, 2013.

1. NOTNlCE, Oct 30, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2013

NOTNlCE macrumors 6502a

NOTNlCE

Hello all,
    I have a Windows PC that has a fried video card, and accepts an AGP 8x video card, and I really don't want to buy another AGP video card. I have two Power Mac G5 video cards lying around, the Radeon model from 2003 and the NVIDIA model from 2004, and I'm wondering if they have a proprietary interface or non-existent drivers for Windows, or whether I can even fit them in a standard 8X AGP slot. I'm not home to "just try it" at the moment, and I won't be for several hours, just trying to get some info and determine whether to waste my evening trying to do this, haha. Any advice? Thanks.
    -N

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You would have to flash them for Intell boxes. Then there's the chance that they may not work if they're ADC cards. I would suggest getting another PC card rather than trying to flash a G5 or G4 card.

3. NOTNlCE thread starter macrumors 6502a

NOTNlCE

Thanks, finally got home to try it out. The Radeon 9600 doesn't have drivers for Windows 7, I actually have a PC version of this card lying around, but alas, no drivers. The NVIDIA card uses an 8x Pro interface, so it's not going to fit the box. Can't seem to get an output from the G5 Radeon, it is an ADC card, but it doesn't matter anyway. Thanks for the help.
    -N

4. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

Well if you plan on keeping the computer around.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4410189&CatId=2234

Your AGP choices are VERY limited, but thats a pretty powerful card for an AGP slot and its pretty cheap,

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The ADC part of the G5 card does matter. The PC ROM may not know how to interact with that part of the card and not work. It's also where the video card gets its power from as opposed to a molecular connector.

6. NOTNlCE thread starter macrumors 6502a

NOTNlCE

Thanks guys, I'll probably grab something from there. For now, the hard drive is being used in another box so my brother can do his work. The ADC connector seems to draw power from the front pin of the G5s 8x PRO connector, and doesn't seem to get enough power in the standard 8x AGP slot. Figures. But whatever. Problem solved for now, thanks everyone.