Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chibianh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 6, 2001
Colorado
A while back when the G4 was introduced, it was pitted against the Pentium III (or was it II? ) and the AMD whatever... anyways, the G4 was "superior" to the others in terms of performance, from what I hear.

The AMD Hammer and the Intel McKinley are scheduled to be released later this year at 2GHz at the least. The G5 will probably arrive in Jan '03, but it's possible it could arrive before the Hammer or McKinley (at NY). My question is, since we don't actually know that much about this mythical G5, will it be "superior" to the offerings from AMD and Intel as the G4 back in it's debut?

I personally have no clue.. I sure hope so. However, the Hammer and McKinley (moreso the Hammer) looks very impressive!

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
The G5...

...is not going to compete against McKinley. McKinley is the second version of the Itanium, which is a high end server chip. It costs more than some entire computers ($1000+). The competition will actually be:

G5: ClawHammer: 3GHz, .09 micron, hyperthreaded, cache boosted Pentium 4

networkman

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2002
california, usa
i remember when us pc techs were told that the itanium would become a home copmuter chip in a couple of years

well, that did not happen and i guess we will have to do with the pentium 4

on the mac side, i think we will see G5 and somehow, the mac world will slowly catch up once G5 is out

mcrain

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2002
Illinois
Re: No contest.

Originally posted by mischief
I have a gut feeling Steve's gonna pull off a coup with a superfast IBM chip.

Like doing a 4-core 2Ghz G3.

What about the Altivec stuff? They can't just throw that out.

blackpeter

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2001
Originally posted by DavidCL23
you really think we will have a 100% jump in chip speed?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Moore's Law (http://www.webopedia.com):

The observation made in 1965 by Gordon Moore, co-founder of Intel, that the number of transistors per square inch on integrated circuits had doubled every year since the integrated circuit was invented. Moore predicted that this trend would continue for the foreseeable future. In subsequent years, the pace slowed down a bit, but data density has doubled approximately every 18 months, and this is the current definition of Moore's Law, which Moore himself has blessed. Most experts, including Moore himself, expect Moore's Law to hold for at least another two decades.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Accordng to my calculations, everyone (including Apple) is roughly keeping pace with Moore's 18 month cycle. If this holds, we shouldn't see a 2 Ghz chip untill after MWSF '03 (maybe even MWNY '03). At which point Intel and AMD will be nearing (if not breaking) 3 GHz.

It's a tough reality to swallow, I know.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
I have a gut feeling Steve's gonna pull off a coup with a superfast IBM chip.

Like doing a 4-core 2Ghz G3.

No way...... moving everything to G4, then going back a generation...... No way.....

The G5 is coming (whether it'll be called that who knows....) be patient people..... :D

Although I still worry that people will moan as soon as the G5 is released, and then start on up about Apple having to release the G6, otherwise they'll be doomed!!! :rolleyes:

spuncan

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2001
Detroit
Truely I could live with a 2 ghz Mac chip be it from IBM or the Moto G4 or G5. If its the G5 then we will be faster the the P4 and if its the G4 (can this be done?) we will be right along side the P4. This is all if the P4 is at 3 ghz. Because it would be similar to the status right now.
BTW- I'd like to see it better but I could live with it

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
I really cannot wait for the G5 to be released, I sold one of my Quicksilvers before SF which was stupid cause I was just toooooooo hyped up.

I have since spent the money on a new Hifi and have no cash now :(

I really need to make some cash!

Ensign

Geert

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2001
.be
Originally posted by Ensign Paris
I really cannot wait for the G5 to be released, I sold one of my Quicksilvers before SF which was stupid cause I was just toooooooo hyped up.

I have since spent the money on a new Hifi and have no cash now :(

I really need to make some cash!

Ensign

:D I hope that the HiFi is any good?
Sorry Ensign, That's really too bad. Let's hope that when G5 is released, you'll have pockets full of $$$$
Funny post though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.