G5 vs Intel

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sammyman, Mar 31, 2008.

1. sammyman macrumors 6502a

Wondering about purchasing a used G5 computer, and was wondering what I CAN'T do with that processor? What will my limitations be? Thnx

2. jakealdred macrumors member

jakealdred

hmm
    upcoming apps including imovie!!!
    wont work!!!
    also it will be alot slower then the new processors!!!
    -jake

3. gothiquegirrl macrumors regular

gothiquegirrl

From my understanding you can't run bootcamp. Nor can you run any software that is "Intel" only.. but there are a ton of Universal apps so you should be ok in that regard.

Can't think of much else, but i'm a new switcher ( two years)...

4. jamisonbaines macrumors regular

run windows.
    g5 will do most everything else (albeit slower)

some of the newer apps are processor specific though.

5. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

Developers are slowly moving away from powerpc - as are apple.
    So in the future some applications or future versions of OSX may not be able to run on older powerpc Macs.

6. trip1ex macrumors 68000

You'll notice the difference if you're ripping cds or encoding or editing video. That's where you'll really notice it.

For surfing, email, DVD playing, music listening I doubt you'll notice much of a difference. Probably the same thing with iPhoto.

I bought an old 1ghz G4 eMac for the hell of it yesterday and loaded Leopard on it. It has 640mb of memory. It works fine for my usual daily tasks. It's not really any slower surfing or anything.

7. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I agree. In day to day tasks, it'll feel just as fast as an intel machine. But the day is coming when it will be incompatible with new software. Universal is how developers are doing it today, but in not too long, it's going to be intel only.

Oh, and trip1ex, how much did you pay for the emac, if you don't mind my asking? The reason I'm curious is that my mom has that exact machine (1 Ghz emac with 640 RAM) but recently got a new imac, so I'm wondering what she can get for the emac. Thanks! :)

8. trip1ex macrumors 68000

$150 plus promise to send another $25 if all is good. Guy had it listed for $250.

I have a new iMac coming too. This is for my son and wife. So far my only complaint about the eMac is that it's a bit noisy and there's some minor screen burn-in along the menu bar at the top.

I did see the monitor flicker once yesterday and I think very briefly today. That scared me a bit. I hope that's not a sign of the thing about to conk out.

I'd guess that the G4 1 ghz will last until the next OS/X version as far as Apple support goes. I doubt the next OS/x version will support it. iMovie '08 can't be installed on it.

Still for $175 it really runs just as well as new machines for the basics. Leopard runs amazingly well on it.