G5 Vs. Mac Pro, Should i Buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Dustman, Jun 28, 2007.

1. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

I've been saving up money for a mac pro. I currently run on a G3 iMac (see sig) and even though I love it, Its starting to get more painful every day. However, I was going to be purchasing a Mac Pro because I wanted to have a seperate tower to connect to an LCD i have, and the mini sucks (graphics card). However, a Mac Pro is the definition of over kill for me, so I have been searching around eBay for a while and found: http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-PowerMac-...8QQihZ009QQcategoryZ51036QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

How much faster than my iMac would it be? (G5 has half the ram, and almost the same HD)
    And all I will be doing is running Camino, Limewire, MSN, and iTunes & syncing my iPod. Will it keep up if I do it all at once?
    Does it have USB 2.0?

Thanks in advance. I'm going to miss my iMac : (

2. bigus7674 macrumors member

RE: G5 vs Mac Pro

You mention that a Mac Pro would be an overkill for you, so in a way you kind of answered your own question. But let's look at the specifics:

Mac Pro would be the "latest and greatest" Intel-based mac that a G5 wouldn't be..BUT a G5 will still support older OS 9 / classic applications, so if you have ANY applications that run in OS 9 or the classic environment, then you will HAVE to opt for the G5 as the Mac Pro will not support those applications.

With that said, you would be upgrading from a single 700Mhz processor based iMac G3 to a dual 2.0Ghz processor based G5; even though it has only 512MB of RAM, it should still blow the socks off of what you are using now. As always, the more RAM you can afford to put into the computer, the better it will run with more applcations open. I use Data Memory Solutions ( www.datamemorysystems.com/apple-memory.asp ) to buy my RAM; they have some of the best prices around and I have never had a problem with any of their RAM, but even if you do, the RAM has a lifetime warranty so you're covered (just be careful...1 of their modules is a little cheaper but it only has a 1 year warranty - it tells you in the description). For example, you could get 2 x 1GB modules (2GB total) for $148.00, or 2 x 512MB (1GB total) for $74.00!! That's damn good!

Outside of that, you will be getting firewire 400 (which your G3 may already have), firewire 800, USB 2.0, gigabit ethernet and analog and digital audio in / out. I don't think you would be disappointed with either the G5 or the Mac Pro - it just comes down to what your specific application needs are with any classic apps you may be running.

3. Schroedinger macrumors regular

Schroedinger

My general rule for any mac pro vs other hardware question is always that if you have to ask, you shouldn't be getting a mac pro.

I agree with Bigus that if you've been getting by on your current system, then the G5 will serve you fine.

However, let me also argue the alternative. If you're going to be using this next computer as long as you kept the imac (I'm asusming you bought it new), then the Mac Pro is going to far more "future proof," both in terms of software (intel only apps) and general speed.

4. djbahdow01 macrumors 6502a

Your stepping up from a 700mHz iMac G3 and going to a Dual Processor 2.0GHz G5 or MacPro. There is going to be a significant speed increase even with less RAM. Even then you can easily upgrade it as well. Not like your iMac.

These are all the programs you plan on running?? I run Photoshop, Dreamweaver, and Illustrator, plus, Safari,Firefox, Adium, and various others without a hickup on a G5. Even the G5 almost seems like overkill. The G5 has a lot of ports, I believe the whole G4 line came with USB 2.0.

Why get rid of it?? Unless you are using it to fund the new purchase or you don't have the room whats the point?

5. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

A refurb of the current mac pro models when the next ones come out might be a great deal for you, or even used or clearance from a stockist.

6. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Not to be nit-picky, but I have both that particular iMac, and a Mac Pro. Upgrading RAM in the iMac is definitely easier. It's literally just a flap you open revealing the RAM.

You don't even need a screwdriver or any tools. A simple penny will suffice, or a really strong "push and turn" of the huge plastic twist lock.

7. thunderclap macrumors 6502a

thunderclap

Why buy a used G5 when you can get a new iMac for either the same or roughly the same cost? It will be faster.

8. Dustman thread starter macrumors 65816

Dustman

it's already completly maxed out, and since i run a few java apps and watch videos on youtube (flash on a G3 SUCKS) it's been lagging far behind.

I'm going to sell it on eBay since i saw a maxed out 700 Mhz G3 iMac on there go for over 400 bucks. The fact that they're rare is making them worth quite the pretty penny.

Thanks for everyone's comments. Taking some into consideration, i'm actually considering a more recent Powermac G4.

9. mavherzog macrumors 6502

You mention that the main reason for looking at the Mac Pro (or used G5 powermac) is that you want to attach your external display. My suggestion is that you still consider a new (or refurbed) iMac. If you've got the desk space, span your desktop to the second LCD. Dual screens are VERY nice...

10. Dustman thread starter macrumors 65816

Dustman

Not a bad idea. I never thought that was possible, but yeah that doesnt sound too shabby. thanks : )