Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
I can get a G5 cheap enough to make it worth while all it needs is a HDD.

This G5 has 1.5GB RAM 9600 GPU 2.0Ghz Dual Processor what call can you tell me about this? is it better than the MDD i have?

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
The G5 is in pretty much every way a better processor, and even the lower spec models top the factory spec G4 towers. There's also the fact that the G5 can hold a LOT more ram-no G4 can take more than 2gb, while even the lowest spec G5s can take 4gb, most of the better ones can take 8gb, and the last generation ones can take 16gb.

The difference will be even more pronounced for you since you are using the lowest spec FW800 MDD, which is crippled by the 133mhz system bus.

While not a perfect comparison, everymac.com shows the G4 you have with a Geekbench score of 570, while the lowest spec G5(1.6ghz SP) has a Geekbench score of 918. The model your looking at scores 1692, or nearly three times your current MDD.

http://www.everymac.com/mac-benchmarks/mac-powerpc-g3-g4-g5-benchmarks.html

Hard drives really are not a big deal for the G5, since you're not scrounging around for NOS, refurbished, or used IDE drives and instead can buy new production SATA drives.

I still love G4 towers, but the G5 has some big advantages in many areas when comes to still being useable computers.

The biggest advantages I see to a G4 MDD over the G5 are the ability to take two optical drives(I know of few people who have used this capability in their MDD, although admittedly I do have one configured that way), lower power consumption, and better compatibility with older peripherals(i.e. external SCSI devices). You also can't put four hard drives in a G5 like you can an MDD, although IMO the ready availability of high capacity drives that will fit it(try finding a 2 TB IDE drive) more than make up for this.

G5s are also-in my experience-generally quieter than their G4 counterparts under normal loads, although admittedly do sounds like a jet about to take off when all 9 fans kick into full blast.

Finally, if you're into gaming or other graphics intensive stuff, G5s open up a much better selection of plug and play video cards. They also have an 8x AGP slot, where the MDDs only have a 4x slot, so the same will generally perform better in a G5 than in a G4. Some G5 cards(or flashed PC equivalents of them) will work in an MDD(see our ongoing thread about the ATI FireX3 Gl, which flashes to the equivalent of a Mac X800 XT, one of the best cards commercially available for the G5), although again take a performance hit relative to the G5 due to the 4x slot.

Last edited:

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2014

This G5 has 1.5GB RAM 9600 GPU 2.0Ghz Dual Processor what call can you tell me about this? is it better than the MDD i have?

Your signature doesnt say how much RAM the MDD has but most likely the G5 is faster.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011

The fastest G4 was 1.42Ghz.
There are aftermarket G4 processors that can give you up to 2.0Ghz dual G4s.

A G5 trumps a G4.

The G5 has a faster bus. The G5 has an 8x AGP slot. The G5 has native SATA. The G5 has PCI-e and PCI-X, depending on model. The G5 can hold from 4 to 16GB of ram depending on model. The best a G4 can do is 2GB.

The Mac you mention has a dual processor. That's two G5 processors in one Mac.

So, yes, specification wise the G5 series blows the doors off the G4.

Surrat

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2014
United States
One side effect of all the time that has passed since the G5's were made, is that nearly all the defective ones, that were going to lose their motherboard or psu for whatever reason, have already died. One that works properly now, after 10 years, should continue to do so for a long while I think.

But, as to your question, I would choose the G5 every time. I have a dual 1.25 mdd, and 3 working G5's, a dual 2.0, dual 2.7, and 2.5 quad. The mdd is nice, but its loud, has unreliable power supplies, and just cant match the G5 dual towers when it comes to overall speed. I also happen to like the aluminum G5 cases... hehe

I'm not saying the MDD is bad, I like mine, and very glad I have it, but if I was forced to choose..

Last edited:

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
well shortly after i made this thread i realized I jumped the gun a bit. The G5 itself is $80 but the shipping from NY is another $50. I can get a 2006 iMac Core 2 Duo for less than that. All the iMac needs is a OS. What is the max OS you can put on a Core 2 Duo iMac 17"? All i need (based on software i would use) is 10.6. How well is 10.6 supported as far as Program Development? I heard 10.8 and up is free now?

gavinstubbs09

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2013
NorCal boonies ~~~by Reno sorta
well shortly after i made this thread i realized I jumped the gun a bit. The G5 itself is $80 but the shipping from NY is another $50. I can get a 2006 iMac Core 2 Duo for less than that. All the iMac needs is a OS. What is the max OS you can put on a Core 2 Duo iMac 17"? All i need (based on software i would use) is 10.6. How well is 10.6 supported as far as Program Development? I heard 10.8 and up is free now?

That is quite expensive for a G5 these days!

The iMac will be stuck at Lion, and you won't get any of the cool stuff like iMessage or newer programs such as Logic Pro X. 10.6 still is well supported, Apple pushes out iTunes updates that will work with SL, and Google Chrome/Firefox still support SL. Other programs like Spotify are also still supported, and Flash + Java are still updated.

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
That is quite expensive for a G5 these days!

The iMac will be stuck at Lion, and you won't get any of the cool stuff like iMessage or newer programs such as Logic Pro X. 10.6 still is well supported, Apple pushes out iTunes updates that will work with SL, and Google Chrome/Firefox still support SL. Other programs like Spotify are also still supported, and Flash + Java are still updated.

SWEET! If i get the iMac than ill stick to SL on it. I have looked at everything I would use on it Google Chrome, Spotify, Skype, Trillian, Sims 3, AIM, ICQ, Flash and iMove 6 HD all work. Some just require Intel (Such as Sims 3 that requires Intel with Leopard 10.5.2 or newer) And Google Chrome/Firefox and others require 10.6 (Such as Trillian) so I would be set perfectly well using 10.6 even if it is outdated

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2014

Any Core2Duo Mac can run the latest version of OS X (10.10) though older ones like your iMac need a little EFI tweak.

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
The G5 over the G4 for sure. I wouldn't pay $130 for a G5 to be honest, especially if its not complete and functional... $100 tops. I got the one in my specs for free.

I think you're better off sticking with the C2D iMac, you'll have much better compatibility with the modern world.

Personally I would try to find something that powers up (aka has a HD, RAM, OS installed) so you don't run into any issues with it not working and not being able to return it. Just quickly looking on craigslist I see a number complete C2D iMacs for like $150.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.