G5 will not start from the OS X v10.4 Tiger install DVD

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by SheerGold, Aug 15, 2007.

1. SheerGold macrumors member

I have just bought a second-hand G5 dual 2GHz. It's the late 2005 model (the one that has PCI Express slots).

It works OK.

But I want to put my own password on it. The usual way to do that is to start up from a Tiger install DVD and choose change password from the menu-bar.

BUT it will not restart from a "Mac OS X v10.4 Tiger" install DVD. That is the generic one that should work with all Macs. I bought it from Apple about 2 years ago.

What happens is that I get a kernel panic (the black screen and a message telling me to shut down).

The man in the shop that I bought the G5 from knows nothing about Macs (his usual business is selling PC's) and he does not know what the password is.

Anyone have any ideas what is causing the kernel panic. Plus what I can do to remedy this problem.

Plus if there are any other ways to change the password.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Kernel panics are usually caused by faulty hardware. Disconnect all devices except the screen, keyboard and mouse. Perhaps swap out the RAM too, if you have enough chips installed. Can you boot into Single User Mode via COMMAND-S at startup? Did the salesman give you the OSX discs that came with the machine? :)

3. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

It coulld be that your Mac is too "new" for the Generic 10.4.0 Install DVD.
    IIRC the Dual Cores came with Mac OS X 10.4.2 pre-installed. Macs ususally cannot boot from an OS which is (even slightly) older than the pre-installed verison.

So, you'll be looking for the original instal DVD's or otherwise get hold of the Generic Mac OS X 10.4.6 Retail DVD.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The Late 2005 Power Mac G5 requires OS X 10.4.2 (8E90) as the minimum operating system.

You're going to need at least the 10.4.6 retail discs if you can't find the original ones.

5. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

You guys are quite possibly right, but it seems a bit dodgy on Apple's part to have the machine kernel panic if the incorrect discs are booted from. I would've thought an error box would suffice.