g5 wise to buy

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bokdol, May 21, 2007.

1. bokdol macrumors 6502a

bokdol

i was wondering if it was wise to buy a used g5? i did notice that prices have dropped significantly. i have seen dual 2.5 pci-x g5 go for 1600. so what do you guys think?

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

No. PPC is the past. Unless you have a specific need to run PPC software, I would invest in a more futureproof technology like a Core 2 Duo iMac.

3. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

yes. PPC is the past, but one of the most stable computers ever produced. it's fast even by current standards. unless you have some need to run intel/windows based apps, g5 is the way to go and at a really good price now days!

4. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

The G5 is the new G3. Kinda slow compared to the latest offerings. Stay away from it unless you need to run OS 9 apps in classic.

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

The only G5 I would recommend would be the last rev G5- either the dual-core or the quad. I have a dual-core 2.0 and it's pretty awesome. The main reason I say that is the PCI-Express video technology. It's still the most current thing. Even then, I would tell you not pay a ton for one. That said, I love my Power Mac. :)

6. desenso macrumors 6502a

desenso

It really depends on your needs.

I recently sold my G5 for almost 70% of what I had purchased it for 2 years prior. They are still very much valued.

If you get one of the last G5s put out, cutting edge, it's still a very fast machine. People say that Intel is more future-proof, but really, you're buying computers that are roughly the same speed if you get one of the G5s or one of the lesser Mac Pros.

I'd say this is especially the case if you are a (legitimate) Photoshop owner who doesn't need a lot of the extras that comes in CS3.

Mac Pros are expensive, and so is CS3. If CS2 satisfies your needs and Tiger / Leopard will suit you for the next few years, I don't think it's any kind of computer suicide to buy a G5.

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Maybe if it's really cheap and for a second computer...

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I agree with this as well. I bought mine on the advice of my IT guys here at work. They predicted right- the MPs were just out of reach for me price- wise. I plan to buy a used one at some point in the next 2 years. I just can't justify spending the cash on a new one.

9. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

My wife uses my old g5 imac and sometimes I borrow it. i find it is just as competitive for most run of the mill, day to day tasks as my MB. A dual g5 should do just fine for lots of tasks - especially if you do get a good price and are on a budget.

10. maxvamp macrumors 6502a

maxvamp

Will your MacBook Today make you happy in 4 years?

The question is which computer should I spend $1600 on? I could buy a Macbook or a used G5.

In both cases, they are peppy by today's standard. We can be reasonably sure that they will be supported for about 4 years ( the trend for Apple ) .

After four years though....

Will my PPC be supported by Apple anymore? Probably not.
    Will My MacBook be supported ? Maybe.

- Will it be fast enough to install the latest OS and run at a speed where I would be satisfied with it's performance? Probably not.

Will Apps be available for both machines over the next four years??? Most apps will probably be universal, with a few that are Intel only.

Based on this logic, used last year, I purchased one of the last Quad G5 machines, as well as a MacBook Rev1. After using both heavily, I suspect I will be upgrading my MacBook a year or more before I replace the Quad machine.

YMMV

Max.

11. bokdol thread starter macrumors 6502a

bokdol

ok i have 2 g5 for sale in my area. both at 1600. one is on craigslist now. one is a 2.5 dual proc and the other is a 2.3 dual core. both with high end graphics card. 2 gigs ram on the 2.5. 1.5 gigs on the 2.3. what you guys think now?

12. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

I'd have to agree with many of the posters, I would not buy one unless you get a very sweet deal or you have to run a PPC-only program.

Would I buy another G5 right now? Probably not. What I have will hold me over until the current Mac Pros become "G3" like. In one to two years? Who knows?

Given there are a LOT of professionals still doing a LOT of work G5's, I would guess that OS support for the G5's will be around for a while, possibly longer than for the Core Duo.

I would steer clear of Core Duo processors, not to be confused with Core 2 Duo processors. Core Duo's are 32-bit-only processors not suited for processor intensive applications. It's anyone's guess when OS support for them will cease.

I have a dual 2.7 G5 that still gives many Mac-Intels a run for their money. This is only because my main processor intensive application is heavily optimized for the G5 and the Mac-Intel version happens to be compiled with a crappy compiler. In all fairness I would have to say that most Mac-Intel apps are fairly efficient run faster than my G5.

13. wheezy macrumors 65816

wheezy

Most that you will find for a great deal are not the fastest on the block, but that doesn't make them slow. I like the PPC stability, just plain stable as a rock. I have a Macbook 2Ghz C2 Duo at work and my 3 yr old Powerbookb 1Ghz G4 here at home and the Powerbook is more stable IMHO. Everything runs on them, Universal or PPC, there are lots of little apps that I like that are not Universal yet, having to run so many apps on Rosetta just isn't as stable.

I plan to upgrade in the next few short months and plan to get one of the later G5 Powermacs to work from, lower cost, incredibly stable, and more than enough power for what I do.

By the way .... who says PPC will not be supported in 4 years? Why would they stop making Universal Apps in so short a time? Also.. will a solid G5 run the OS in 4 years fast enough? Absolutely. My 3yr old PB runs Tiger without a hitch, Leopard won't be a problem.

14. NewbieNerd macrumors 6502a

NewbieNerd

I definitely don't agree that PPC Macs are teh doomed and whatnot, but I do think this is a good time to be patient and wait out good deals if you can. I just managed to snag a 2.3 DC via Craigslist for $900 with AE and BT. I certainly would have payed that for a 2.3 DP one! Being my first powermac it does seem like an awesome machine and I'm loving it. $1600, while not a great deal, is a solid price I think for either one. I'm hoping to see a Quad fall down in that price range in the next few months, but we'll see.

If you've got the cash and want one, get it. You'll love it. :)

15. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

It better not cease too soon because they are still selling a model with the Core Duo processor!:)