G5 with external monitor query

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by inscrewtable, Jun 11, 2014.

1. inscrewtable macrumors 65816

inscrewtable

A friend has an old G5 17" isight model, and the screen has the vertical lines all over it problem so it's useless but everything else works OK. At the moment it has a samsung syncmaster 1920 x 1080 monitor connected to it but the cpu fan is spinning at maximum rpm so it sounds like a jet taking off most of the time.

I notice that even though the samsung is plugged in via a vga to dvi converter (I think) that the G5 screen is still running and I was wondering if this was causing the fan to be spinning at maximum and conscequently I was wondering if there was some way to have the samsung monitor connected to the G5 such that the G5 screen was not running at all.

I can't see otherwise what is causing it to spin at max rpm's even under light load.

thanks

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

The capacitors on the Logic Board maybe damaged or blown causing the failure in the ability on the internal display. Do you suffer from any graphical problems on the external display?

3. inscrewtable thread starter macrumors 65816

inscrewtable

External monitor works fine. The lines are a typical g5 problem. Basically I just want to not have the G5 powering two monitors when the G5 one is useless.

I've done some more research but it seems that it's not possible to have the G5 monitor off when an external monitor is connected.

But if it is possible then that is what I'm wanting to know.

thanks

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Not that I know of at least. Granted you could turn the display brightness down on the G5 all the way.