Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacTruck

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2005
One Endless Loop
So I caved in. Got my powerbook up on ebay and went to CompUSA and bought one of the close out 2.5ghz G5s for $2495. Now I know about the G5 beep problem and fan spins on scrolling so I figured I would buy it from CompUSA and take it back if I didn't like it.

Ok, my dual G5 2.5ghz does all the stuff. Beeping, fan spinning up and down when I scroll a webpage yada yada. So I did some research and some tests. Here are some results.

Turning nap off by installing dev tools and the latest CHUD tools fixes every problem I have. No more fan whines, no more beeping infact my computer is faster and more quiet. Now I have been running this G5 at full blast processor for 3 days now non stop. I have nap turned off and have the outer door off so I can see the inside and no problems. No crashing, nothing. Temps stay at:

170 Faranheiht for CPU 1
161 Faranheiht for CPU 2
91.4 Faranheiht for Drive Bay
169 F for Memory Controller Heatsink

Now this is definately higher than with nap on but well within the thermal specs. Besides this beast has a Liquid cooling system in it.

So folks, I wouldn't worry about your G5 melting (although I might be changing my tune next year with this setup).

Ohh also, anyone looking for a way to make nap disabled forever, basically after you restart I have it. I wrote a little apple script that I call on startup that disables nap. No more having to go into system prefs on boot to turn it off. Let me know if you want it.

toothpaste

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2005
I have experienced the fans spinning up faster at times when browsing, but have not heard any beeping.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.