G5 won't boot need help

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Aameiel, Aug 3, 2012.

1. Aameiel macrumors regular

Aameiel

Ok so a friend of mine got a G5 tower from a co worker and they said they didn't know much about it etc. So we got it home and hooked it up when i press the power button the light comes on but then goes off and i hear a "click" sound . i don't even hear the fans start up just a click sound. i pulled the battery out for 1 hour and put it back in i also pressed the PMU button and same thing so i am asking for help. From what i can see it has 1 gig of ram ( 2x512 ) and its a 2 ghz DP/PCI-X is this thing dead ? thank you viewing!!!

2. highvoltageuk macrumors newbie

highvoltageuk

Hi Android4tw...i have the same problem...i bought a spare G5 tower system but when i press the start-up button the starts but soon stops again....Fans start spinning & stop the same.
    I took out the fans & have noticed 1 of the CPU's discoloured ie. its overheated but im not sure:mad:
    Not much help but im in the same boat:eek:

3. OliverOSX93 macrumors regular

Probably a Power supply issue. I just bought a fried G5 2.7GHz. I'm going to patch up the LCU and replace the power supply. If it still doesn't work I'm selling it for parts. They make good weekend projects if you want to expand your computer maintenance/repair skills.

4. Aameiel thread starter macrumors regular

Aameiel

Ty for the replies I guess I'll hunt ebay for a Power Supply and see if i can score a used one cheap and see what happens.

5. Aameiel thread starter macrumors regular

Aameiel

ok so here's an update..I removed both processor's and tried to start up with just one... on the first try i removed just the bottom one first and tried to start up and nothing so then i removed the top one and placed the one that was in the bottom into the top spot and when i pressed start i can hear the fans come on and i had a red light !!! ( had see thru door off ) did not get a boot chime but at least now the fans spool up ... is it possible to run this mac with just one or do i need both processors ??( will order one either way) thx :D

6. Aameiel thread starter macrumors regular

Aameiel

so after toying with this today i got it to boot up and chime after i installed just one of the processor's i found out that the Lithium battery was also dead lucky for me i had a spare so i installed the battery pressed the pmu reset on the board and its booting up !!! yay so now since i know for sure that one processor is no good i went on ebay and found a matching set for a good price so once they get here will install them and all should be good :)

7. Lil Chillbil macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

i didn't know that a g5 could function with only 1 processor

8. highvoltageuk macrumors newbie

highvoltageuk

That was one of my first thoughts can i remove processor & leave 1....now i know thanks