G5 won't start up all the way with new monitor

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by jonathanhughes, Apr 25, 2010.

1. jonathanhughes macrumors newbie

My employer was getting rid of two 22" Viewsonic CRTs, so I figured I'd use one to upgrade my 19" monitor that's connected to my dual 1.8 G5.

When I connect either of the 22" monitors, the G5 won't startup all the way. It just hangs on a blue screen. When it's hung, the mouse is movable, but I can hear the hard drive accessing every now and then, and the mouse disappears from the screen for about five seconds every ten or so seconds.

Both monitors are operational and work fine when connected (via a VGA adaptor) to my macbook pro, and the G5 works totally fine when connected to my old 19" monitor.

Here's what I've tried:

• zapped the PRAM (numerous times)

• plugged the 22" monitor into a different AC outlet (in case it was sucking too much power to allow the G5 to boot fully)

• swapped the video card in the G5 with an identical one from the same model G5 at work.

• tried a safe boot, and after a very long startup period, it exhibits the same behavior as before.

• I booted up from my Disk Warrior disk, and the computer booted up fine. So it's not a monitor problem, or a video card problem. As soon as I tried to boot up from the hard drive, it went back to bot fully booting.

Any ideas?

thanks!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

3. Garen macrumors regular

Garen

I'm a newbie to MAC world and probably way off but, in PC world if the monitor is incapable of resolving the GF board (wrong display setting) you will have the same results.

Garen

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

5. jonathanhughes thread starter macrumors newbie

I tired repairing permissions, and that didn;t help.

Both video cards I've tried are the stock ones that came with this model G5: Nvidia GeForce FX 5200.

Both video cards work fine with my 19" monitor, and the one I got from work was working fine in the same model G5 connected up to the same 22" monitor I took home.

6. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

Which OS version?
    You can try verbose mode to see when problem occurs. There is something wrong in your OS, i think, especially when graphics cards and monitor are working with other G5.