G5 wont start up unless door is off

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MacDaddi, Feb 25, 2009.

1. MacDaddi macrumors member

Hello, My G5 Dual 2.5ghz Will not start up unless the clear plastic Door is off. Anyone have any ideas? I've tried all the usual. Pram reset. Reset button, drive genius on drive, reverted to stock ram. Everything except the AHT because I don't have one for this model. (anyone know where to download one)
    Funny thing... after it boots with the door off I can put the door back on and it runs fine.

Ok I hope someone might have had this same problem and has found a fix.

Thank you in advance

2. Trip.Tucker Guest

There are two slots at the bottom of the sill where the clear plastic door locks into. The slot towards the rear has an optical sensor which is triggered by the tab on the plastic side. That tab has a gray colored sticker/decal on it designed to interrupt that sensor.

Is that sticker still in place?

3. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

4. California macrumors 68040

California

Sometimes the sensors that run to the door shield tabs in the bottom of the case have their wires get corroded. Google around, I have heard this sometimes happens. There are wires running to the sensors that tell the computer that the protective shield is in place and they get messed up sometimes.

ALSO MAKE SURE YOU CLEAN OUT WHERE THE SHEILD GETS SLOTTED INTO PLACE ON THE SIDE> Vacuum, air blow it, clean it.

5. Trip.Tucker Guest

On the water cooled but the OP's isn't a later series is it?

6. MacDaddi thread starter macrumors member

Update On G5 wont start

Well thank you for all your help. Yes the sticker is in place and yes the shield inside.

Now I get it to start but it is really hit and miss. I thought it might be RAM so I tried to use Memtest which is a program that is Unix command line. Anyways I booted into Superuser mode and ran memtest and during the process it froze. Ahh.:confused: I really wish I had an Apple hardware test for this model.(G5 2.5ghz Dual) I got it from a friend to use for work and he doesn't have the original discs. :(

I really want this computer to work (don't we all right?) I'll try looking at the leads that were mentioned that might get corroded.

Question..is it not Ok to pull the aluminum and clear door off while the computer is running. I mean besides the risk of contaminants and the static factor it should be OK right?

So here's my logic...

If the HD was failing then I would be able to start every time with the option key with out fail. Because that bypasses the HD. But thats not happening. Sometimes it will boot with the option key down and sometimes it wont. I figure its the logic board:(:(:( and not the memory. Also Im wondering how Memtest can test bad memory. Doesn't the Computer need good memory to test bad. :confused::confused:

Well if anyone can help me out with a download to an apple hardware test for this model I would greatly appreciate it. I can make it easy by having you upload it to my .mac idisk

Thanks again

7. MacDaddi thread starter macrumors member

Update on G5 wont start without door open

Well I ran the AHT and every thing came up great except for a failed internal CPU fan warning. I read somewhere that this is just a glich with the AHT because there is no internal CPU fan (its water cooled right). Now I can use my G5 doing Multiple intensive applications without fail but still wont start up with out the door and clear inside door out. I cleaned off the contacts for the sensor in the clear door and looked for corrosion and found none.

What makes this even funkier is that I can actually stop the boot up by putting the clear door back in right when I see the white apple symbol on boot up. Crazy huh. Anyone have any ideas?

Oh and I fixed the freeze issue with a new hard drive that would just unmount itself randomly.

8. MacDaddi thread starter macrumors member

Update on G5 wont start without door open

OK I've figured out that the pump was not working on the delphi LCP. Don't know why that wouldn't make it start up but I'm willing to try and fix the pump with Swiftech MCp-350. I'll keep you updated